Whatbird Community

2020 Leftovers #2

Round 2 of leftover (heavily cropped) pics from 2020. These are all from Meek's Table, WA on June 27

1. Black Phoebe?

NIK_2487.jpeg.21ae1bee086488b78abffd6090325f5a.jpeg

NIK_2488.jpeg.b08f7db21a5fbcce4930c01834b019b0.jpeg

2. I think this is an empidonax but haven't been able to figure out which

NIK_2855.thumb.jpeg.dc931b819807804a577ecfdf020a45d2.jpeg

NIK_2852.thumb.jpeg.b7c2b3db7ef226a520bb472dbb0abf30.jpeg

3. A vireo? I've got almost no experience with these

NIK_2461.thumb.jpeg.34297f57c8be5f214263ab5db895e991.jpeg

NIK_2463.thumb.jpeg.c56cb18438e9973cb72c96372c90db97.jpeg

4. Another vireo?

NIK_2469.thumb.jpeg.2ee15b7acb18f7ab5db10272ce4290fe.jpeg

NIK_2471.thumb.jpeg.c454a51705734412bd3911ee02059471.jpeg

5. Western Bluebird?

NIK_2844.thumb.jpeg.6e9b4128160797b62caff230e77bf0c8.jpeg

44 minutes ago, Aidan B said:

One looks like a Western-wood Pewee to me.

I’m not familiar with either but also considered Western-wood Pewee for 1. According to allaboutbirds.org I was well outside the expected range of Black Phoebe. . The bird is a so dark in the photos though, like the other phoebes examples I found. And I did find a handful of pics on Macaulay in the same county. Too bad I don’t have a pic of the front. 

I really don't think that number one is a Black Pheobe. I see them daily, and I just can not make this into one. In my experience, Black Pheobe almost never have a crest like the first bird does, and the posture that it is sitting in is not at all like a Black Pheobe and much more like a Pewee. In addition, when I zoom in on the first photo, I almost think I can see some yellow on the sides.

2 hours ago, Aidan B said:

I really don't think that number one is a Black Pheobe. I see them daily, and I just can not make this into one. In my experience, Black Pheobe almost never have a crest like the first bird does, and the posture that it is sitting in is not at all like a Black Pheobe and much more like a Pewee. In addition, when I zoom in on the first photo, I almost think I can see some yellow on the sides.

I see about 50 a day here, that is certainly a black phoebe. Look at that bill, tail length, somewhat peaked head, white wingbars, black above white below. Nothin else looks like this. I have great experience with this species, that is certainly one

9 hours ago, IKLland said:

I see about 50 a day here, that is certainly a black phoebe. Look at that bill, tail length, somewhat peaked head, white wingbars, black above white below. Nothin else looks like this. I have great experience with this species, that is certainly one

Where are the white wing bars? On any black Phoebe for that matter?

Edited by Avery

To my understanding, Black Phoebe would be quite a rarity at this location, while Olive-sided Flycatcher is expected at this location, and the time of year and habitat also seem to support Olive-sided.

Also, Western Wood-Peewee and Olive-sided Flycatcher are in the same genus (Contopus), maybe that is why @Aidan B initially thought this was a Peewee - although I think we can rule that out with the lack of obvious wing bars.

The photo doesn’t give much to work with but coloration and shape, especially head and bill shape, and tail length, seem consistent with Olive-sided.

21 minutes ago, neilpa said:

Anyone happen to have any thoughts on 5, what I thought was a western bluebird?

It appears that Mountain Bluebirds aren't as common at that location as Western Bluebirds are, but I'm not sure we can ID such a young bird from that photo.

15 hours ago, Aidan B said:

That's probably it, I still can't make this a Pheobe

10 hours ago, Avery said:

Where are the white wing bars? On any black Phoebe for that matter?

Never mind. It’s olive sided. @Averysorty I got confused as I was looking at something with wingbars at the time, they don’t.

• Like 1