Whatbird Community

Birdforum?

Seanbirds

Birdforum?  

10 members have voted

1. 1. Do you like Birdforum? I might like to join. Just wanted to have your opinion.

Nah...One reason I'm there is because there aren't enough people from America identifying birds from America.  I'm mostly only on the Bird Identification Q&A subforum, so I don't know much about the other parts of the site (and there are too many!).  Not saying you shouldn't join, but be ready for some long arguments and a messy, confusing forum. haha

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Nah...One reason I'm there is because there aren't enough people from America identifying birds from America.  I'm mostly only on the Bird Identification Q&A subforum, so I don't know much about the other parts of the site (and there are too many!).  Not saying you shouldn't join, but be ready for some long arguments and a messy, confusing forum. haha

Sure, I see that. I have a hard enough time trying to keep up with Whatbird! :classic_laugh:

Edited by Seanbirds
  • Haha 1

If you want to share you photos, add you yard list, talk about you birding day it is a good forum. But the identification threads are annoying to me. There are people identifying birds that their entire knowledge of the bird is that they just looked at it on google.

• Like 2

19 minutes ago, Kevin said:

If you want to share you photos, add you yard list, talk about you birding day it is a good forum. But the identification threads are annoying to me. There are people identifying birds that their entire knowledge of the bird is that they just looked at it on google.

Whatbird will always be my go-to for Identifications. Y’all are awesome!

16 hours ago, Kevin said:

There are people identifying birds that their entire knowledge of the bird is that they just looked at it on google.

That is not unique to other birding sites, it happens here on Whatbird too. Some birds are initially misidentified by enthusiastic members that want to be the first to guess the right ID, without knowing that they don't have the skill to do so accurately. Sometimes it's newer birders testing their skill and sometimes it's birders that think they know more than they actually do. The wrong ID is usually corrected, and usually pretty quickly, but I am sure there are occasions when the initial ID is viewed and accepted as accurate without the thread being revisited to see the corrections.

I don't frequent other bird forums so I can't say why this one is better than others, but we aren't immune to people making IDs without having any experience or personal knowledge of the bird. Just saying.

• Like 6

I was on BirdForum for a while years ago, but I found it to be poorly moderated and disorganized, and overloaded with annoying sparkly GIFs, irrelevant videos, etc. (I love the "hide signature" feature on WhatBird and use it a lot.) Too much drama and too little actual bird talk for me! 

WhatBird used to be my go-to for ID and everything else about birding; it was my only birding buddies when I started out and I will forever be grateful for the help and support I got here. I don't need ID help as often and have other local resources available now that I've gotten hooked up with the local birding community (which has also grown tremendously in the 12 years since I started birding); but just reading threads here regularly has helped me SO MUCH to hone my birding skills.

I agree that mistakes are made and eager IDs from less experienced birders do occur here, but I think it tends to be self-correcting, and the conversation is almost always cordial and productive. Since the community is smaller I think it's easier to get an idea of when there has been a consensus among careful and experienced birders. I personally try to be clear about my level of experience with a particular species and avoid chiming in on IDs for birds I have no experience with. Making mistakes is fine and we can all learn from them.

But I think the best way to find out if any site or forum is useful to you is to try it yourself.

Edited by Aveschapines
Clarity
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I guess as the only person who voted yes here I should speak up. I do like whatbird a lot better, for the ID and the photo sharing sections, where the most activity is spent here. However, there are a few sub-forums that do have interesting discussions over on birdforum, but I usually stay of the ID sections there, as everything does seem to head into a debate.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

4 hours ago, lonestranger said:

That is not unique to other birding sites, it happens here on Whatbird too. Some birds are initially misidentified by enthusiastic members that want to be the first to guess the right ID, without knowing that they don't have the skill to do so accurately. Sometimes it's newer birders testing their skill and sometimes it's birders that think they know more than they actually do. The wrong ID is usually corrected, and usually pretty quickly, but I am sure there are occasions when the initial ID is viewed and accepted as accurate without the thread being revisited to see the corrections.

I don't frequent other bird forums so I can't say why this one is better than others, but we aren't immune to people making IDs without having any experience or personal knowledge of the bird. Just saying.

It would be great if those new birders/guessers would add a disclaimer "Not an expert/administrator/moderator".   That is a requirement on a herpetological forum I follow.  Such an arrangement allows the more inexperienced to practice their skills while also alerting the OP (& others reading the posts) that the supplied ID may or may not be accurate.  

Just now, floraphile said:

It would be great if those new birders/guessers would add a disclaimer "Not an expert/administrator/moderator".   That is a requirement on a herpetological forum I follow.  Such an arrangement allows the more inexperienced to practice their skills while also alerting the OP (& others reading the posts) that the supplied ID may or may not be accurate.  

I’m an amateur herper myself. Can you give me a link to that forum? It sounds interesting.

9 minutes ago, Seanbirds said:

I’m an amateur herper myself. Can you give me a link to that forum? It sounds interesting.

Sure!  Website & FB pages.  One is for Alabama herps, but they are very knowledgeable about herps in general, and provide links to more globally-oriented herp forums:

https://wsed.org/?fbclid=IwAR3hNUGxZXOgydUZKvZXXEDg7hwiQlBoZUTy-k5OwxQZz3RTIx4xpgm586I

https://www.facebook.com/groups/snakeED

https://www.facebook.com/groups/bamaherpid

http://www.alabamaherps.com/forums.htm

Just now, floraphile said:

Sure!  Website & FB pages.  One is for Alabama herps, but they are very knowledgeable about herps in general, and provide links to more globally-oriented herp forums:

https://wsed.org/?fbclid=IwAR3hNUGxZXOgydUZKvZXXEDg7hwiQlBoZUTy-k5OwxQZz3RTIx4xpgm586I

https://www.facebook.com/groups/snakeED

https://www.facebook.com/groups/bamaherpid

http://www.alabamaherps.com/forums.htm

Thanks! Ooooh, this looks good!

On 1/6/2021 at 1:52 PM, The Bird Nuts said:

Nah...One reason I'm there is because there aren't enough people from America identifying birds from America. 

That, and I don't like the subforums broken down by state.  Most of them are inactive, and species don't recognize state boundaries.

On 1/7/2021 at 7:54 AM, lonestranger said:

I don't frequent other bird forums so I can't say why this one is better than others,

Are there others?  Not Facebook, please.

On 1/7/2021 at 12:44 PM, floraphile said:

It would be great if those new birders/guessers would add a disclaimer "Not an expert/administrator/moderator". 

This, y'all, please, or the ever-popular "... but wait for someone with more experience to confirm."  Thanks.

On 1/7/2021 at 10:01 AM, Aveschapines said:

the conversation (at Whatbird) is almost always cordial and productive.

I love this place.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 3

On 1/7/2021 at 11:44 AM, floraphile said:

It would be great if those new birders/guessers would add a disclaimer "Not an expert/administrator/moderator".   

Just to clarify - at least here, being a moderator definitely doesn't make me an expert at bird ID, especially birds not found here (which includes a lot of North American species). But I do try to indicate if I'm chiming in on a bird I don't have experience with. In at least one case an attempt was made to coerce me to give an opinion on a species I had never even heard of, which I refused to do, but it can be hard to resist. So I would add taking people at their word when they say they are unsure or can't confirm.

Edited by Aveschapines
clarity
  • Like 1

• 1 month later...