Whatbird Community

21 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Yes to Red-tailed?

The initial question posed by the original poster was “Is this a Red-tailed Hawk?”, I was responding yes to that question.

Hybrid buteos are quite rare, though they do occur occasionally. Also this out of the range of Red-shouldered Hawk (too far northwest).

This looks like a normal Red-tailed Hawk to me - a calurus/alascensis Red-tailed Hawk, the expected subspecies on the west coast, which often have more rusty tones on the underparts than the eastern birds.

• Like 1

On 1/7/2021 at 1:31 PM, The Bird Nuts said:

Yes to Red-tailed?  The breast and even the belly band looks fine for a Red-shouldered, but the tail doesn't.  Could it be a hybrid?

This is the second bird this month that I thought was RSHA because of red horizontal breast streaking, but that others identified as RTHA.  In fact, on the earlier bird, I recall you were in the RTHA camp!

31 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

This is the second bird this month that I thought was RSHA because of red horizontal breast streaking, but that others identified as RTHA.  In fact, on the earlier bird, I recall you were in the RTHA camp!

Haha!  Well, I'm in the Red-tailed camp on this one, too.  I can see now that it's too bulky and I guess even the belly pattern isn't quite right for a Red-shouldered.  I should point out that I'm just comparing photos online here, because Red-shouldereds turn the other way when they see me in the field. ?