Whatbird Community

Albino house finch? Marietta Georgia

This morning (1/8/21) I saw a almost completely white bird with a bunch of house finches and pine siskins. It has the size and shape of a house finch, but I've never seen one of this color. Pictures are posted below.

Thanks in advance.

CLCoDmL.jpgkJZybO6.jpgN3S9kIx.jpg

I'm thinking leucistic, not albino, since you can see tints of brown and the eyes aren't pinkish red. I think looks good for house finch though, with the beak and the wings and all, but I'm no pro! So I would wait for others to rule in. 

1 minute ago, zbird said:

I'm thinking leucistic, not albino, since you can see tints of brown and the eyes aren't pinkish red. I think looks good for house finch though, with the beak and the wings and all, but I'm no pro! So I would wait for others to rule in. 

Agreed

There are a lot of different genetic oddities that end in weird colors on birds. The common* ones are leucism, albinism, and melanism. There are some other cool ones though. There a Carolina Wren in VT that’s red like a purple Finch head to toe. 

That’s why I think eBird should have filters/alerts for bird colour anomalies. As no one probably cares about a Carolina wren reported, but many would if that one was!

What a cool bird