Whatbird Community

Olive/Brown Bird Need ID For Rehab

36 minutes ago, MerMaeve said:

Immature Sora??

PLEASE GET IT TO A REHAB CENTER!

I am the rehab center. We have many birds not native to us migrating as the temps are dropping to the 40s now. So this one may be from somewhere else. He isn't native that's for sure!

Hi! 

Keep in mind that "fledged" doesn't mean "mature coloration". In birding terms, "immature" refers to birds before they get their adult plumage (which can take years in some species). When IDing species this designation is very helpful. It's also helpful when searching for images to compare to your bird.

I'm going to second Sora. If you look for "Immature Sora" images you will find some key features that help identify this bird. Here are some examples:

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/guide/Sora/media-browser/33182341
https://powdermillarc.org/pictorial-highlights/early-fall-2007/ (scroll down for in hand, very good for ID)

Things that lead me to think this is a sora:

* yellow feet with ridiculously long toes
* dark stripe on crown of the head
* white showing at the edge of the wing when folded
* white and dark markings over the back
* overall brown with a lighter, buffy face

You should be able to verify whether this is true or not by comparing the face and beak shape with those images.

Hope the little one recovers quickly!

2 hours ago, Tiatake said:

I am the rehab center. We have many birds not native to us migrating as the temps are dropping to the 40s now. So this one may be from somewhere else. He isn't native that's for sure!

Actually, Soras do breed in North Dakota, but they mostly stay out of sight in marshes.  I'd bet this one got injured while migrating.

Welcome to Whatbird, Tiatake and Tser!

• Like 1