Whatbird Community

Tennessee warbler?

@DLecy@Tony Leukering@The Bird NutsI hate to disagree, but I always say, always go with what you saw. In person, through my binoculars I saw what appeared to be a Tennessee warbler. After looking at pics of them I have ruled them out. Like I said before, I only had my phone. This bird was not a common yellowthroat. I have lots of experience with them and in person it as not one. That’s why it’s hard to tell from the pics from phone. @Tony Leukeringthis was too gray and olive in person for a Wilson’s warbler. @Connor Cochranebelieve you are correct. And @Birding Boy. I think it’s a palm ambler based on pics of them. @DLecyon to the voice, I know it sounds like a common yellowthroat, but it was with a phoneme and in person it sounded much different. Here is an audio from maculary that in person sounds just like my bird. 
I think it’s safe t9 call it a palm, but if anyone still disagrees let me know. 
I always say always go with what you saw. What I saw was almost certainly in my opinion a palm warbler. 
here is the audio recording from maculary.

https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/294871321#_ga=2.88842907.1443503656.1610682669-1955318793.1592873967

thanks for all of the inputs, though 

19 hours ago, IKLland said:

Oh, and it did not call.

Um, ??? Not sure what to make of this other than the behavior of the bird and the voice in your video are diagnostically Common Yellowthroat. Maybe you have a case of wanting the bird to be something it's not, but that dangerous bird ID pitfall doesn't change the fact that it's a COYE. Cell phone audio wouldn't change a Palm Warbler chip note into a Common Yellowthroat chip note. 

Edited by DLecy

5 hours ago, Avery said:

I hate to disagree, but palm warblers do wag and pump their tails

32 minutes ago, IKLland said:

I believe so too

I’m fairly certain Tony wasn’t referring to tail wagging/pumping. A cocked tail means that the tail is held up above the line of the body, like in a wren or yellowthroat. 
Palm warblers when wagging their tails don’t raise their tail above the line of their body from what I’ve seen. 
I saw this bird as a yellowthroat as well, and can’t see it being a palm warbler, but I wouldn’t say I have much experience with either of them. 

• Like 1

@IKLland

As someone who enjoys sound and music, and the auditory aspect of birds being my strong suit, I agree with @DLecy. That call in the video is totally a COYE. If you listen to your video, you can hear that the chip note is a “double” chip, like stones clacking quickly. That double call is diagnostic of COYE, with the only similar call coming from a YRWA, which this bird obviously is not. The link you provided is a single chip, and definitely a PAWA. 

@IKLland, I can definitely see where you are coming from with this bird. I have encountered birds that do not look like what others are telling me it is. Warblers especially. I have to relearn there fall plumages every year. Although this bird does look funky, the yellow wash, faint face pattern, nervous movement, and diagnostic call make this a COYE. 

@Aaron, thanks for clearing that up! I misinterpreted @Tony Leukering‘s words. Sorry about that!

• Like 1