Whatbird Community

eBird Reports - complete versus incomplete reports.

3 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

I'm like you, @PaulK.  When I see a huge flock of geese or ducks I usually say "oh, no..."  Partly because my eyes can't take using my scope for even short periods of time and partly because counting/estimating large numbers of birds is not very fun to me.  A lot of times I make someone else get a count while I look through the flock.  An eBird reviewer told me it was probably best to use an "X" and put my rough estimate in the comments in situations where I don't feel like trying to get a more accurate count.  It can still count as a complete checklist.

I think I know what reviewer your talking about ?. I’ve had several conversations with him about counting 

1 hour ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I enjoy the challenge of counting a large flock.  Time permitting and birds cooperating, I'll count twice or even three times.  If they're on the wing, even better!  I'll start by tens and if necessary, switch to hundreds.

Well, most of the birds that form large flocks here gather in the winter.  Trying to stay out long enough to count them in the freezing cold wind by a lake is not fun...as I'm sure you already know...

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Avery said:

I think I know what reviewer your talking about ?. I’ve had several conversations with him about counting 

Yeah, I was thinking you probably know who it is.  You may notice a difference in our checklists from one county to another.....hehe...But I have been better about getting more accurate counts.

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Well, most of the birds that form large flocks here gather in the winter.  Trying to stay out long enough to count them in the freezing cold wind by a lake is not fun...as I'm sure you already know...

See, I'm not bothered by how long it takes to count large flocks in freezing cold wind.

Because I can't see them from in front of the fire place.  :classic_biggrin: