Whatbird Community

Do you like Woodpeckers?

BigOly

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

I spend most mornings sitting on the back porch watching the birds come and go to the feeders while I sip a couple cups of coffee. I set the tripod up yesterday and locked it in place on the woodpeckers favorite spot on the nearby tree for a prolonged shoot. I don't usually lock the tripod head in place, but I was hoping for consistency in the photos so I might be able to create a composition of woodpeckers. Unfortunately, I had to unmount the camera and move the tripod to get a few shots of the Cooper's Hawk that had all the birds on high alert before I was done. After the hawk flew off, I set the tripod up as close as I could to it's previous position and carried on with the shoot. I got some decent photos but was really disappointed that the Red-bellied Woodpeckers didn't make their regular appearance along with the Downy, Hairy, and Red-headed Woodpeckers that did make their usual appearance. Okay, enough babble, here's a few of yesterday's photos cropped individually, any creativity with post processing will have to wait for the post processing mood to strike.

Red-headed Woodpecker going to the feeder.

DL6A5185

Hairy Woodpecker going to the feeder.

DL6A5200

Downy Woodpecker going to the feeder.

DL6A5281

Red-headed Woodpecker returning with a seed.

DL6A5266

Hairy Woodpecker returning with a seed.

DL6A5237

The uncooperative Downy Woodpecker that kept landing on the back side of the tree returning with a seed.

DL6A5302

• Like 8

9 hours ago, lonestranger said:

I spend most mornings sitting on the back porch watching the birds come and go to the feeders while I sip a couple cups of coffee. I set the tripod up yesterday and locked it in place on the woodpeckers favorite spot on the nearby tree for a prolonged shoot. I don't usually lock the tripod head in place, but I was hoping for consistency in the photos so I might be able to create a composition of woodpeckers. Unfortunately, I had to unmount the camera and move the tripod to get a few shots of the Cooper's Hawk that had all the birds on high alert before I was done. After the hawk flew off, I set the tripod up as close as I could to it's previous position and carried on with the shoot. I got some decent photos but was really disappointed that the Red-bellied Woodpeckers didn't make their regular appearance along with the Downy, Hairy, and Red-headed Woodpeckers that did make their usual appearance. Okay, enough babble, here's a few of yesterday's photos cropped individually, any creativity with post processing will have to wait for the post processing mood to strike.

Red-headed Woodpecker going to the feeder.

DL6A5185

Hairy Woodpecker going to the feeder.

DL6A5200

Downy Woodpecker going to the feeder.

DL6A5281

Red-headed Woodpecker returning with a seed.

DL6A5266

Hairy Woodpecker returning with a seed.

DL6A5237

The uncooperative Downy Woodpecker that kept landing on the back side of the tree returning with a seed.

DL6A5302

LOL, that's awesome!

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...