Whatbird Community

18 Jan 2021 Baldwin co. AL

No pics b/c he flew before I could get him.

Large, apparent raptor with rufous-y back and wings high in a tree in my neighborhood this evening.  He was not upright, he was lying down & across a branch.   His feathers were "fluffed".   When he flew off, his belly looked light compared to the rest of him and the under side of his wing tips looked dark.  He was too far for me to discern any streaking/banding patterns.  I think it was a raptor, but it was a weird perching place  for a Red-Tailed so I was favoring Red-Shouldered, thinking, perhaps the wing pattern wasn't apparent due to distance? But that weird lying-down posture?  I don't know what to make of that.  It reminded me of an anting Blue Jay.  He didn't seem to be injured when he flew off.

18 Jan 2021 Baldwin co. AL

No pics b/c he flew before I could get him.

Large, apparent raptor with rufous-y back and wings high in a tree in my neighborhood this evening.  He was not upright, he was lying down & across a branch.   His feathers were "fluffed".   When he flew off, his belly looked light compared to the rest of him and the under side of his wing tips looked dark.  He was too far for me to discern any streaking/banding patterns.  I think it was a raptor, but it was a weird perching place  for a Red-Tailed so I was favoring Red-Shouldered, thinking, perhaps the wing pattern wasn't apparent due to distance? But that weird lying-down posture?  I don't know what to make of that.  It reminded me of an anting Blue Jay.  He didn't seem to be injured when he flew off.

Some kind of Owl?

29 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Isn't it a bit early for owlets to be out of the nest? 

Probably.  I'm sure not going to ID my bird as an owl.  Also, my bird was an adult bird.  It was big and did not have any down feathers.   I was just enchanted by the story of the baby owls sleeping on their stomachs.  ❤️   

Edited by floraphile
typo