Whatbird Community

Bird describing contest!!

IKLland

At first I was thinking black and white because of the 'monochrome' reference, but monochrome can be various shades of the same colour so I'm going throw out a wild guess based on the various shades of brown of the Henslow Sparrow and see if I'm remotely close. 

21 hours ago, lonestranger said:

At first I was thinking black and white because of the 'monochrome' reference, but monochrome can be various shades of the same colour so I'm going throw out a wild guess based on the various shades of brown of the Henslow Sparrow and see if I'm remotely close. 

You may want to look in here now and then when you're online @Avery. Not all of us remember to tag or quote the person that has the answers when we make our guesses.

• Like 1

On 6/9/2024 at 10:51 AM, lonestranger said:

Nope. Your hunch on the monochrome colors is correct though! This bird is white, gray, and black. 

4 hours ago, lonestranger said:

You may want to look in here now and then when you're online @Avery. Not all of us remember to tag or quote the person that has the answers when we make our guesses.

Yeah, sorry. I’m not on as often as I used to be, I try to check in a couple times a day, but sometimes I forget. 

4 hours ago, Avery said:

Yeah, sorry. I’m not on as often as I used to be, I try to check in a couple times a day, but sometimes I forget. 

Not to worry, if we forget to tag someone when we post a guess, we'll just tag them when we remember. 😉

• Like 1

On 6/7/2024 at 1:14 PM, Avery said:

A distinctive, monochrome bird of limited U.S. range, this bird likes to make its presence known. One interesting fact is that this species communally roosts at night, some individuals travelling several miles to do so!

On 6/8/2024 at 12:29 PM, Avery said:

More patterned than Groove-billed Ani

On 6/9/2024 at 9:24 AM, Avery said:

This bird has many other members of its genus within the U.S.

21 hours ago, Avery said:

This bird is white, gray, and black. 

21 hours ago, Avery said:

This bird does not have a eponymous name

1 hour ago, Avery said:

This bird can be frequently seen in suburban areas within its range. 

Just putting all the clues/hints together and pointing out that @Greyhawk's recent guess was overlooked.

16 hours ago, kansabirdguy said:

Gray Kingbird?

You got it!

From AllAboutBirds: “Gray Kingbirds roost in large assemblages in the evening. Birds travel many miles to join the roost, usually arriving just before dusk. At dawn, they depart in different directions. Some birds, such as parrots, roost together regularly, in part to share information about the location of fruiting trees. Kingbirds seem to roost together primarily for the safety from predators that their large numbers provide.”

21 hours ago, Greyhawk said:

Closer, but the species in question reportedly doesn't eat as many frogs, crustaceans, and insects as the Reddish Egret.

The species in question was formerly known by a different common name which referenced one of the US states in which it is found.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Greyhawk said:

The species in question was formerly known by a different common name which referenced one of the US states in which it is found.

The oldest recorded individual was at least 17 years, 8 months old when it was shot in the Bahamas in 1976. It had been banded in Virginia in 1958.

• Like 1