Whatbird Community

Bird describing contest!!

IKLland

23 minutes ago, JaredD said:

My clue: This species is named for the color of one area of the male bird's body, even though that color appears elsewhere on him -- but the word used for the color is inexplicably confounding.

Black-throated Blue Warbler

32 minutes ago, JaredD said:

My clue: This species is named for the color of one area of the male bird's body, even though that color appears elsewhere on him -- but the word used for the color is inexplicably confounding.

Bay-breasted Warbler?

• Like 2

27 minutes ago, lonestranger said:

Clue #1

These birds have a range that covers the continent from from east to west but not north to south. These birds have been observed eating 96 sunflower seeds in five minutes. 

Evening Grosbeak

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, lonestranger said:

I thought that one might have lasted long enough for a second clue, but I guess not. Well done.

Next:

This species' range only slightly crosses into the US. It is the only US member of its family that is predominantly its color.

16 minutes ago, Greyhawk said:

Next:

This species' range only slightly crosses into the US. It is the only US member of its family that is predominantly its color.

Green Kingfisher?

47 minutes ago, kansabirdguy said:

Great! I'll pass my turn to @JaredD since he was close with the color and I am a bit busy and not to good at coming up with these 😉 

lol, I'm in class all day. Won't be able to come up with a thing. And anyway, I think three of us have been going back and forth with clues solved in two guesses or fewer.

Any one else up for it?

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, IKLland said:

Got it!

Next:

The US population of this bird nearly died out, but the flourishing of an invasive species food source in the 21st century has helped enable them to rebound significantly.

1 minute ago, Greyhawk said:

Next:

The US population of this bird nearly died out, but the flourishing of an invasive species food source in the 21st century has helped enable them to rebound significantly.

Limpkin?

44 minutes ago, Greyhawk said:

Next:

Snail kite?

• Like 3