Whatbird Community

Bird describing contest!!

IKLland

27 minutes ago, kansabirdguy said:

A large unmistakable bird that recently had multiple birds of this species demonstrate being directionally challenged. 

This is the new bird by the way (not referring to the last one). 

2 minutes ago, IKLland said:

Limpkin 

Right idea but not correct. There was a reason these birds were in the wrong place at first (not just expanding range) but their journey home seemed to be a bit round-about.

Unlike most red birds that owe their redness to a variety of plant pigments known as carotenoids, this bird gets its red feathers from a rare pigment called rhodoxanthin.

• Like 2

25 minutes ago, neilpa said:

Unlike most red birds that owe their redness to a variety of plant pigments known as carotenoids, this bird gets its red feathers from a rare pigment called rhodoxanthin.

Interesting!  Is it the ʻiʻiwi?

3 minutes ago, kansabirdguy said:

Is it fair to google this or is random guessing (or educated guessing for the smarter ones here [not me]) what is required? Certainly don't want to cheat on this one (or any of them 😜).

The idea is to make [educated] guesses, otherwise it defeats the purpose of the game

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, kansabirdguy said:

Is it fair to google this or is random guessing (or educated guessing for the smarter ones here [not me]) what is required? Certainly don't want to cheat on this one (or any of them 😜).

1 hour ago, neilpa said:

The idea is to make [educated] guesses, otherwise it defeats the purpose of the game

I have to admit to using references to educate myself on things I don't understand, such as trying to find the source of rhodoxanthin since it doesn't come from seeds. I also use my digital field guide to help group birds together so I can get an idea of potential guesses. As an example, I'd never be able to consider many of the red birds if I didn't have access to a list of red birds, simply because I don't know all the red birds off the top of my head. I guess in my view there's a difference between learning something to help solve a puzzle, and using Google to solve it for you. Just my overpriced two cents worth.

Edited by lonestranger
  • Like 2

1 hour ago, neilpa said:

I'm not sure, but I'm thinking that was a "no" to the question.

That being the case, I'll refrain from answering, but in general I am assuming there are no rules as to how one can generate guesses, so it's impossible to cheat. 😎

12 hours ago, lonestranger said:

I guess in my view there's a difference between learning something to help solve a puzzle, and using Google to solve it for you.

I tried to learn enough on my own to solve the mystery bird, but Google gave me the answer before I could solve it myself, so I'll excuse myself from this round too.

17 minutes ago, lonestranger said:

I tried to learn enough on my own to solve the mystery bird, but Google gave me the answer before I could solve it myself, so I'll excuse myself from this round too.

Fun bit of knowledge to know now, though 🙂 

• Like 1

I haven't googled it, but I have no idea.

think Flamingos get their red pigment from their aquatic diet. But I can't imagine we're going back-to-back on flamingos, so I'll go another bird that eats aquatic stuff: Reddish Egrets?

1 hour ago, JaredD said:

think Flamingos get their red pigment from their aquatic diet. But I can't imagine we're going back-to-back on flamingos, so I'll go another bird that eats aquatic stuff: Reddish Egrets?

That was my line of thought too, but I was going to guess a different bird until I Googled too far for my own fun.

6 hours ago, JaredD said:

Nope. It’s a passerine near the bottom of the taxonomic sort. The source of the pigment is supposedly insects in the diet

Edited by neilpa
  • Like 1

51 minutes ago, neilpa said:

Nope. It’s a passerine near the bottom of the taxonomic sort. The source of the pigment is supposedly insects in the diet

Red-winged Blackbird? Shot in the dark…