Whatbird Community

Do you guys track with Ebird? Or not?

IKLland

I use track as well. Think it is more valuable as it tells the eBird gods where exactly you went and where you didn’t. Also don’t know how people figure out the distance when walking in areas that aren’t necessarily straight lines. 

Before I got eBird mobile I (stupidly) would look up the average amount of steps per kilometre and then divide my step count by that....

9 hours ago, Aaron said:

it tells the eBird gods where exactly you went and where you didn’t.

I don't know about the ebird gods, but I'm pretty sure that each user is the only average user who is able to see his/her own track.

Even with that, I use and appreciate the track mechanism.  I, too, used to estimate distance by my number of steps as recorded by a fitness tracker. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, JP48 said:

I don't know about the ebird gods, but I'm pretty sure that each user is the only average user who is able to see his/her own track.

Even with that, I use and appreciate the track mechanism.  I, too, used to estimate distance by my number of steps as recorded by a fitness tracker. 

Yes, eBirders can only see their own tracks, but people who work at eBird or use eBird as a means to write papers/ study trends, etc can see and utilize that track.

Per eBird:

“This is an important new chapter in eBird, opening the door for many exciting new future tools: improved research that can use the actual path you birded, eBird data outputs that can show the precise path of any given checklist, and much more. Plus, it makes your birding even easier.“

1 hour ago, Avery said:

I use eBird Mobile, and I always have to remember to turn tracking off for anything other than a traveling checklist. How do you disable it?

Just don't turn it back on after you turn it off. :classic_laugh: I'm just being a silly, I know not what I talk about.

Edited by lonestranger

Just now, Aaron said:

Missed the chance to edit, but wanted to add that if you stay under a certain distance with track on it still will submit it as a stationary checklist. 

Sorry, forgot to add that. I have to slide that off every time, as it is automatically on unless I tell it not to be every time. Is there a way to switch that around?

Ohh I’m not sure. I guess turning off GPS or taking away the apps permission to use your location could? 
Though I guess that just creates an opposite problem where you’d have to go and remember  to turn it on.... 

Edited by Aaron
  • Like 1