Whatbird Community

2 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Interesting.  I wonder why?  

I'm guessing what happened was the bird was originally down under hummingbird sp. When @IKLland heard that this was probably an Anna's, they changed it to Anna's Hummingbird, transferring the images, and changing the ML catalogue number, making the link stop working,

• Thanks 1
5 hours ago, Connor Cochrane said:

I'm guessing what happened was the bird was originally down under hummingbird sp. When @IKLland heard that this was probably an Anna's, they changed it to Anna's Hummingbird, transferring the images, and changing the ML catalogue number, making the link stop working,

That’s exactly what happened!! You also agree with Anna’s this means.

5 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

I'm pretty sure its Anna's. I would want a little better photos, as it almost has a costa's look to it.

Yeah. It stopped by the feeder for a min. I was focused on the brilliant male Allen’s in the tree that I did not notice how odd this looked. Then I realized my camera was off and by the time I turned it on I got two quick pics and it was gone. 
I though it looked a bit like a costa’s as well. But don’t costas only live here in the summer??

thanks

Ah, and 'Restricted' is just the default error message.  That makes sense.  Thanks.

1 hour ago, IKLland said:

Yeah. It stopped by the feeder for a min. I was focused on the brilliant male Allen’s in the tree that I did not notice how odd this looked. Then I realized my camera was off and by the time I turned it on I got two quick pics and it was gone. 
I though it looked a bit like a costa’s as well. But don’t costas only live here in the summer??

thanks

That's BCHU, Costa's are year-round residents in low numbers.

That's BCHU, Costa's are year-round residents in low numbers.

thanks. It came back for two more quick pics today. The first is poor, but shows the gorget, the second might help

let me know what you think of it now. 

DSC04123 (2).JPG

DSC04128 (2).JPG

1 hour ago, Connor Cochrane said:

My vote is Costa's Wingtips seem to extend to tail tip, and it just has a Costa's feel to it (though it does seem a little bulky).

thanks! if that's correct, thats a lifer for me! Glad these pics helped. Aren't costa's chunky and black chinneds are skinny? h ou are trying to rule out anna's. I think we can by the wing tips. Maybe a hybrid?

Just now, IKLland said:

thanks! if that's correct, thats a lifer for me! Glad these pics helped. Aren't costa's chunky and black chinneds are skinny? h ou are trying to rule out anna's. I think we can by the wing tips. Maybe a hybrid?

I can't see it in the first photo, but you said you can see the gorget. Do you remember what color it was. Even if its an immature male with the gorget still growing in, it'll look red in annas, and purple in Costa's.

I can't see it in the first photo, but you said you can see the gorget. Do you remember what color it was. Even if its an immature male with the gorget still growing in, it'll look red in annas, and purple in Costa's.

yes, i know the pic is bad, i recall it was purple. 

Safe to say Costa's?

2 minutes ago, IKLland said:

Though I don't have any good photo's of female Costa's, here's a comparison

Costa's

2400?__hstc=264660688.fd8e575f7f2fb710f6

Black-chinned 

Anna's (a long winged individual)

Though I don't have any good photo's of female Costa's, here's a comparison

Costa's

Black-chinned 

Anna's (a long winged individual)

thanks. certainly too chunky for a black-chinned. Looks best for Costa's in my opinion. 

Just now, IKLland said:

thanks. certainly too chunky for a black-chinned. Looks best for Costa's in my opinion. 

Your bird definitely isn't black-chinned, I was just putting it up since you asked. If you say the gorget is purple than I would be fine putting It down as Costa's

• Like 1

Your bird definitely isn't black-chinned, I was just putting it up since you asked. If you say the gorget is purple than I would be fine putting It down as Costa's

thanks!! Lifer# 149 for me! I thought costa's only lived here in spring/summer, so i thought I would not see one until spring. But this was in my suburban yard. My peterson guide says they live in dry areas. ?