Whatbird Community

Palm Springs - like a HOUSE FINCH -- but big orange beak ?

Back in MAY 2020, in Palm Springs, I saw two birds that look VERY like House Finch... except their beaks seemed a couple of hairs Too Big, AND the beaks are decidedly more orange. 

The bigger of the 2 also seemed to be, well, bigger and thicker than a house finch

I could not get too close for a great photo, but got some pics that highlight the weird beak. 

These birds were hanging out with an Abert's Towhee. 

In the last pic with the towhee, you can see the smaller alleged orangey-beaked finch hopping.

I've run it thru Merlin, and don't get anywhere. 

I was visiting Palm Springs, so I was not able to seek it out on other days. 

First time posting; looking forward to responses and browsing other parts of site!

2020_05 Birding - Palm Springs (605).JPG

2020_05 Birding - Palm Springs (599).JPG

2020_05 Birding - Palm Springs (591).JPG

2020_05 Birding - Palm Springs (584).JPG

I'm trying to figure out which bird we're talking about.

Specifically, in the last shot there are birds of two different sizes.  The smaller one in the foreground looks like a HOFI to me.

The ones behind it with the orange beaks appear larger and have unstreaked breasts.  Are we saying they're all HOFI?

31 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I'm trying to figure out which bird we're talking about.

Specifically, in the last shot there are birds of two different sizes.  The smaller one in the foreground looks like a HOFI to me.

The ones behind it with the orange beaks appear larger and have unstreaked breasts.  Are we saying they're all HOFI?

The back bird in the last photo is a Towhee

• Thanks 1
16 hours ago, Carmen said:

I don't think its a house finch eating fruit, as both of the birds have the yellow / orange beak, not just one. Also, I agree with the OP that it is larger than a house finch.

Welcome to the forum! This is a house finch. I believe they eat fruit. I think it has something in its mouth. @harmonywhowelcome to whatbird! These are house finches