Whatbird Community

I agree with the Bird Nuts. What's interesting about that duck is the bill. Intersex plumage mallards are usually females with old or injured ovaries. The bill is usually clearly female but that bird is the first I've seen with an "intersex bill"

• Like 1
13 hours ago, The Bird Nuts said:

I'm guessing the duck is an intersex Mallard.  I don't see anything that suggests hybrid.

I want to say domestic mallard. No white eye ring rules out hybrid, oh I remember me asking tooooooo many questions in that topic..... 

American pipit is correct for bird one

6 hours ago, MichaelLong said:

The thing that has me wondering is a faint green wash in the ducks bill

I believe that bill is an example of an intersex mallard i.e. it has color characteristics intermediate of the male and the female. The mallard female's lack of estrogen causes the dominant male pattern of color in the plumage and other body parts to appear to some degree (in some birds it's the male's lack of testosterone that causes intermediate plumage). In mallards, it's not that rare to see this phenomenon to some extent.  I haven't seen one where the female's orange and black bill has been turned almost as yellow as a males bill, with only a little orange and a few speckles of black "bleeding" through. However, that's what appears to have happened here. Here is a picture I found googling "intersex mallard" that has a bill that seems to have a diminished amount of black and a yellowish tint especially at the base.

https://www.inaturalist.org/observations/68000324

• Like 1
8 hours ago, IKLland said:

I want to say domestic mallard. No white eye ring rules out hybrid, oh I remember me asking tooooooo many questions in that topic..... 

No, domestic Mallards can have white eyerings.  Google Indian Runner Duck; it's one breed that I found often has eyerings.  Sorry about the confusion I caused.

Edited by The Bird Nuts
  • Thanks 1