Whatbird Community
okaugust

Warblers at Dusk and Take a Stab at Some Shorebirds?

Bad light. Very bad light. And bad distance. I know they may not be IDable, but I thought it was worth a shot. Getting some good migrants now, so I'm reluctant to make a call on unfamiliar birds. A couple of weeks ago I spotted a rare to Wyoming Buff-breasted Sandpiper, so I'm a little snap happy right now hoping for other surprises. Help is appreciated!

First one was in an almost dried up very small pond area in Sheridan, WY. The pond supports a few Red-winged Blackbirds, House Wren, ducks over the summer. Cattails and willows are good spots for migrants in the fall, but hard to get in the fall light. I see darker grey on lighter gray, and maybe an eye ring, and it was making a deep CHCK call, like a Common Yellowthroat. There is almost a touch of blue at the end of the wings, but I think that's just the light maybe.

2018%2009%2020%20Unknown%20Warbler%20PSW

Second is also from Sheridan, also tonight, flitting around the trees at the edge of the golf course and middle of the fairway. Also making a loud CHCK warbler call note. With the streaking underneath,  the facial coloring and eye ring, I was considering Black and White Warbler, but it wasn't moving along the trunk as I would expect it to. I've tried to lighten the photo and so on, but without much luck.

2018%2009%2020%20Unknown%20Warbler%20PSW

Finally, taken last weekend at a pond near Buffalo WY, the usual gang of hard to see miscreants.

I'm thinking left to right, Wilson's Phalarope, Long Billed Dowitcher, Wilson's Phalarope, Greater Yellowlegs. A couple more closer shots below, but this is sort of the clearest.

2018%2009%2016%20Unknown%20Pond%20at%20J

This one seems to have a rather downward curving bill

203-L.jpg

Or could the Phalaropes be Stilt Sandpiper perhaps?

Closer shot

And just for fun, the Buff-breasted Sandpiper, first eBird reported, fourth in the state with game and fish! Really exciting! Not all of my photos are completely lousy either, I promise!

2018%2009%2009%20Buff%20Breasted%20Sandp

I'm passing on the "warblers," as I consider both birds to be unidentifiable.

First shorebird pic: Uncertain, Lesser Yellowlegs (LEYE), LEYE, LEYE, LEYE, Wilson's Phalarope (WIPH), LEYE, LEYE

Second shorebird pic: LEYE, LEYE, Stilt Sandpiper (STSA), STSA (note leaning-forward posture when head under water)

Third shorebird pic: Front bird - LEYE, back left bird - STSA?, back right bird - WIPH

Fourth shorebird pic: Greater Yellowlegs (GRYE)?, GRYE, GRYE, uncertain, possibly GRYE

Fifth shorebird pic: juv Buff-breasted Sandpiper, as you know