Whatbird Community

How do you organize you photos?

Kevin

1 minute ago, The Bird Nuts said:

I write in the tags in the details pane (Windows 10 File Explorer).  One thing that makes it take so long is you have to press save (or enter) in order for the tags to be saved instead of just clicking on the next photo.

Do you know how to selected multiple files at once?  That allows you to apply the same tag to multiple files at one time.

Just now, Charlie Spencer said:

Do you know how to selected multiple files at once?  That allows you to apply the same tag to multiple files at one time.

Yes, but a lot of times I can't tell which photos all have the same species without viewing them in the photo viewer.  I have my photo viewer on one side of the screen to help me identify the birds in the photos then add the appropriate tags in File Explorer on the other side of the screen.  It's a slow process...

On 1/21/2021 at 6:59 PM, Aaron said:

I have some on my laptop, some on a hard drive that was a backup for a computer and some on my phone. Then almost every photo I’ve ever taken is still on the SD card it was taken with. So I have many SD cards laying around...

Should probably get better organized ?

Before I got overrun, I’d create a folder by location and date for each trip, but since I barely delete photos (even bad ones) my laptop is way too full to do that anymore. Plus, I don’t trust that it won’t crash and it all will be lost. 

I keep all my cards too!

• Like 1

Everything is in a date folder. But, I have been sloooowly going through over 100,000 photos and putting the better ones into more specific folders. I didn't go as far as @Kevin for each species but more family like wading birds, shorebirds, owls, warblers and vireos... I also have one folder each for landscapes, flowers, Butterflies, Tiger Beetles, Insects, Mammals...Sorry @Seanbirds I only have one folder for all my herps. As for location all the ones moved to specific folders are labeled with the State they were taken in. A few have more specific information. I still have a ton to go through.

• Like 1

I import photos into Lightroom directly from the memory card, arranged into folders by month/year, and assign keywords to each group as they are imported.  I don't name folders based on the subject since there would be too many folders with duplicate names.  Then I assign location tags in a batch format.  This way every photo is searchable by either date, location, and/or keywords (as well as other data).