Whatbird Community

How do you organize you photos?

Kevin

1 minute ago, The Bird Nuts said:

I write in the tags in the details pane (Windows 10 File Explorer).  One thing that makes it take so long is you have to press save (or enter) in order for the tags to be saved instead of just clicking on the next photo.

Do you know how to selected multiple files at once?  That allows you to apply the same tag to multiple files at one time.

Just now, Charlie Spencer said:

Do you know how to selected multiple files at once?  That allows you to apply the same tag to multiple files at one time.

Yes, but a lot of times I can't tell which photos all have the same species without viewing them in the photo viewer.  I have my photo viewer on one side of the screen to help me identify the birds in the photos then add the appropriate tags in File Explorer on the other side of the screen.  It's a slow process...

On 1/21/2021 at 6:59 PM, Aaron said:

I have some on my laptop, some on a hard drive that was a backup for a computer and some on my phone. Then almost every photo I’ve ever taken is still on the SD card it was taken with. So I have many SD cards laying around...

Should probably get better organized ?

Before I got overrun, I’d create a folder by location and date for each trip, but since I barely delete photos (even bad ones) my laptop is way too full to do that anymore. Plus, I don’t trust that it won’t crash and it all will be lost. 

I keep all my cards too!

• Like 1

Everything is in a date folder. But, I have been sloooowly going through over 100,000 photos and putting the better ones into more specific folders. I didn't go as far as @Kevin for each species but more family like wading birds, shorebirds, owls, warblers and vireos... I also have one folder each for landscapes, flowers, Butterflies, Tiger Beetles, Insects, Mammals...Sorry @Seanbirds I only have one folder for all my herps. As for location all the ones moved to specific folders are labeled with the State they were taken in. A few have more specific information. I still have a ton to go through.

• Like 1

I import photos into Lightroom directly from the memory card, arranged into folders by month/year, and assign keywords to each group as they are imported.  I don't name folders based on the subject since there would be too many folders with duplicate names.  Then I assign location tags in a batch format.  This way every photo is searchable by either date, location, and/or keywords (as well as other data).

• 2 years later...
On 8/22/2021 at 3:57 PM, The Bird Nuts said:

I'm not sure I like the way I organize my bird photos.  I organize in folders by year then month then place.  I tag each photo with the species (which can take a while and is not fun!) so I can search for them.

On 8/22/2021 at 8:11 PM, The Bird Nuts said:

I write in the tags in the details pane (Windows 10 File Explorer).  One thing that makes it take so long is you have to press save (or enter) in order for the tags to be saved instead of just clicking on the next photo.

Stupid Windows 11 has just removed the tag feature from the details pane.  NOW WHAT AM I GONNA DO?! 😠

1 hour ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Stupid Windows 11 has just removed the tag feature from the details pane.  NOW WHAT AM I GONNA DO?! 😠

They haven't removed it completely.  You have two options.

1) Select the files you want to tag.  Right-click the selected files, click Properties, go to the Details tab, and enter the Tags there.

2) Click Start, type Run and press Enter.  A Run window will open.  Type 'control admintools' and click OK.  Click the Up arrow on the tool bar until you've gone as far up as you can go (two or three clicks).  The Details pane will now behave as it used to.

Microsoft made a change in File Explorer in the last update, and you aren't alone being unhappy with it!  Plenty of people who work with media files are screaming on the MS forums and are actively beating up the official MS request sites.

• Thanks 1

24 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

They haven't removed it completely.  You have two options.

1) Select the files you want to tag.  Right-click the selected files, click Properties, go to the Details tab, and enter the Tags there.

2) Click Start, type Run and press Enter.  A Run window will open.  Type 'control admintools' and click OK.  Click the Up arrow on the tool bar until you've gone as far up as you can go (two or three clicks).  The Details pane will now behave as it used to.

Microsoft made a change in File Explorer in the last update, and you aren't alone being unhappy with it!  Plenty of people who work with media files are screaming on the MS forums and are actively beating up the official MS request sites.

Thanks a lot for the workarounds!  I hope Microsoft listens.  They have listened to the customers in the past so I'm hopeful.

2 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I'm not.  I worked with and supported MS products for literally decades.  Maybe it's just professional cynicism but I've found them to be bull-headed about reversing changes.  They already tout the changes to the Details pane as 'improvements'.

But they actually got rid of the Windows 8.1 start menu junk (I know that was many years ago) and they just introduced tabs.  Maybe, just maybe, they are listening...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, cooldood said:

You do not need LR to add tags.  You can do this with windows file explorer.  The nice things about tags is searching multiple ways.  If you have cardinal picture do you file it as Cardinal? date taken? maybe you were on a trip....

Yes and it's stupid inconvenient and slow, especially now that they don't allow editing of tags in the details pane in File Explorer anymore.

Edited by The Bird Nuts

45 minutes ago, cooldood said:

I use lightroom classic and just put in folders by date.  The key is to use keywords.  I can search for "cardinal"  and find any pic tagged with this no matter when or where I took it.  

My gripe with many tools is the tags or keywords are only visible in that app on that computer.  I don't know if that's the case with Lightroom.  Tags applied with Windows' File Explorer become part of the metadata of the file itself, and can be viewed on any Windows computer without having to install anything else.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 1

I agree it is not great but there are plenty of choices other than LightRoom

1. MyMeta. MyMeta is a Windows-based system that allows users to edit media file metadata. ...
  2. ExifTool. ...
  3. TigoTago. ...
  4. Exif Date Changer. ...
  5. Canto DAM. ...
  6. MP4 Video & Audio Tag Editor. ...
  7. Metadata++
  • Like 2

6 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

My gripe with many tools is the tags or keywords are only visible in that app on that computer.  I don't know if that's the case with Lightroom.  Tags applied with Windows' File Explorer become part of the metadata of the file itself, and can be viewed on any Windows computer without having to install anything else.

When I export a from LRC to jpg I can still view the Metadata in Windows file explorer

• Like 2

I moved from Windows to Linux a year before Windows 8.1 went EOL, and at the same time I switched from Lightroom to Darktable. There were a lot of learning pains in that process, and I fell severely behind with editing in early 2022.

To answer the main question, I organize my photos in folders like below, inside a "Nature Photography" folder in "Pictures." I just dump the files directly from the camera into the respective folder, along with the GPX track file if I have one. I also dump audio recordings into the same folder. (These are just examples, not actual trips. Yes, putting the year twice is redundant. Maybe I'll drop that in 2024.)

• YYYY > YYYY-MM-DD Hotspot Name
    2023 > 2023-11-27 Henderson Bird Viewing Preserve

If I visit multiple hotspots in a day, I do this instead:

• YYYY > YYYY-MM-DD > # Hotspot Name
    2023 > 2023-11-27 > 1 Henderson Bird Viewing Preserve
    2023 > 2023-11-27 > 2 Clark County Wetlands Park

And multi-day trips:

• YYYY > YYYY-MM-DD ~ [MM-]DD Trip Location > [MM-]DDa Hotspot Name
    2023 > 2023-11-23 ~ 27 Utah > 23a St. George
    2023 > 2023-11-23 ~ 27 Utah > 23b Hurricane
    2023 > 2023-11-23 ~ 27 Utah > 24 Zion National Park

2023 > 2023-11-23 ~ 27 Utah > 25 Zion National Park
    2023 > 2023-11-23 ~ 27 Utah > 26 Bryce Canyon National Park
    2023 > 2023-11-23 ~ 27 Utah > 27a Bryce Canyon National Park
    2023 > 2023-11-23 ~ 27 Utah > 27b Cedar Breaks National Monument

After copying photos, I run a Python script I wrote to automate using ExifTool to geotag the photos and insert location names in certain fields. I formerly used the Windows-only GeoSetter for this, which is pretty much broken now due to not receiving updates.

Then I fire up digiKam to begin culling. If I don't have a GPX track or don't want to bother with the location names, I can geotag here as well.

After I delete all the junk (and actually have time to edit), I bring the photos into Darktable, tag them with the species information, and edit the ones I like.

I finally export to JPEG and upload to multiple sites. Most photos go onto my website, the bird photos and audio go onto eBird, and the best photos go onto Flickr.

My website handles all the tags that I use to automatically put everything into a database. I've been rebuilding it to improve the searching functions, but there's a lot of work left to do, and still over a year of photos to edit.

On 11/26/2023 at 6:43 PM, cooldood said:

When I export a from LRC to jpg I can still view the Metadata in Windows file explorer

This Metadata will also contain the keywords assigned to the picture and is searchable...at least for Mac.  

Edited by chipperatl