Whatbird Community

How do you organize you photos?

Kevin

One thing is for sure...  If you take thousands of photos weekly then you will want some type of digital asset management software!  Without it the culling process, organizing, and photo searches would be a headache.

Most professionals seem to use Lightroom or Photo Mechanic to organize and edit but for me Adobe Bridge works fine.  Its FREE, easy to use and has powerful ways to edit metadata and create custom folders (Collections).  It also integrates well with Photoshop.

9 hours ago, jfredrick said:

One thing is for sure...  If you take thousands of photos weekly then you will want some type of digital asset management software!  Without it the culling process, organizing, and photo searches would be a headache.

Even if you only save a handful of photos a week, the accumulation of them over time makes searching for specific images just as much of a headache. Because I never tagged my photos at the beginning and now have an overwhelming number of photos saved, I get that headache weekly when searching for species of the week photos. I've started tagging some of them but it's a tiny fraction compared to the untagged photos. To put a positive spin on it though, I get to revisit many photos that still put a smile on my face while I'm searching. :classic_smile:

• Like 2

I've probably said it before but I've never understood filing by date or adding the date to the file name.  Unlike species names or location names which have to be added manually, multiple date fields are embedded in the metadata at the time the image was taken.  You can search, sort, and group by them with most file management apps.

Maybe it makes sense if you edit beyond my simple cropping?

8 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Which fields do you use to store the location names?

XMP and IPTC Country, State, City, and Sublocation. IPTC is a fallback as it gets truncated at 32 characters. After uploading, I use the Geonames API to fill in the County column in my database as well (and I can fill in the other fields if they're missing).

• Country, State, and County are pretty obvious for the US, and when I happen to take photos in other countries, it shouldn't be hard to figure those out.
  • City is the first tricky one. If it's a location within a city, I'll fill in the correct (usually incorporated) city name. If it's somewhere a bit far from civilization (which isn't uncommon with wildlife), I may use the name of the protected area, national forest, or mountain range, such as "Lake Mead National Recreation Area."
  • Sublocation is usually the hotspot name, like "Henderson Bird Viewing Preserve," but in larger areas I'll put the area as the city and the exact location as the sublocation.

In the end, it doesn't really matter, and I may tweak things further in the future once I figure out how I want to utilize the location filters on my site.

• Like 2

22 hours ago, chipperatl said:

This Metadata will also contain the keywords assigned to the picture and is searchable...at least for Mac.  

It is searchable in PC too.

It is definitely a different way of thinking but once you embrace tags in metadata you will never go back.

• 1 month later...

I like eBird as an organizational tool because of the built-in association with checklists, species, etc.

But, I find it rather limiting in a few key ways, including the inability to filter/sort by personal rating and tags.

Over winter break, I drafted a browser extension (only Chrome supported for now) that tries to remedy this. I've been using it heavily to keep my own 6000+ photos organized. It's in a bit of a rough state, but perhaps others here might also find it useful: https://github.com/balagansky/ebird-acornizer

Features:
* Tag photos as Favorite, Good, Alternate; Funny, Staring
* Sort by the tags above
* Sort by number of ratings
* Import/export (to json text)

Limitations:
* Can only sort what's already been loaded in eBird's photo search. Does have a feature to auto-load a configurable number of photos to make this more usable, but it works best when filtering for a particular species + contributor.
* Only works in Grid View mode of photo search currently.
* Local storage only. You can sync/backup manually via Import/Export function

As it's not currently published in the Chrome store, installing it is a little non-trivial, but not too difficult.

It's open source and contributions are welcome. As is feedback/suggestions, though I might not have much more time to keep working on it.

• Like 3