Whatbird Community

@Gary Aldcroft, one of the best way to get variety is a birdbath, as it can attract birds that don’t visit feeders! I’ve found you can get a good variety from sunflower seed and suet at your feeders, and jelly for orioles in the summer. And if you want hummers, either plant plants that hummers love, like bee balm, or put up a hummingbird feeder!

• Like 1
16 minutes ago, Tony Leukering said:

This link takes you to the eBird record of species recorded in LA County. Warblers are near the very end, so you'll have to scroll a long way to get to the list of 42 species of New World warblers that have been recorded in the county. Enjoy!

Bar Charts - eBird

I wonder what county has the most warblers in the US. My guesses are LA, San Diego, San Francisco, Marin (All CA) or Maricopa AZ

3 minutes ago, MichaelLong said:

Because the Farallon Islands are ridiculous 

Yes, the county borders of the Farrallons are ridiculous. Even though it's just a tiny little island, because of the closet point of land rule decided by birders for nautical county birders, my home county (Marin) basically got scammed of half of it's nautical space.

23 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

I wonder what county has the most warblers in the US. My guesses are LA, San Diego, San Francisco, Marin (All CA) or Maricopa AZ

My home county of Marin barely fell short of Los Angles. LA had 42, Marin had 41 

17 hours ago, Connor Cochrane said:

17 hours ago, MichaelLong said:

SF has 45, what did I say about the Farallon's. San Mateo only has 37 RIP

I think you folks need to expand your horizons 😉.  If you google "best places to find warblers", you mostly get sites in Texas, Ohio, Michigan, NJ, etc.  For giggles, I picked a couple I had heard of.  If I count correctly, Cameron County, TX (South Padre Island) has 46 Wood-Warblers on the county checklist in ebird 🙂 (this didn't include hybrids).  Cape May, NJ has 39.  Not shabby.

• Haha 2

This question of most warblers in a county piqued my curiosity so I decided to answer it definitively. I was able to use the eBird API to get the species list for each county and count the warblers. Turns out  4 counties top the list with 47 each. Here's the top-13 all with 44+

• 47 Pima, Arizona
  • 47 Nueces, Texas
  • 47 Cochise, Arizona
  • 47 Brewster, Texas
  • 46 Cameron, Texas
  • 45 San Francisco, California
  • 45 Roosevelt, New Mexico
  • 45 Hidalgo, Texas
  • 45 Cameron, Louisiana
  • 44 Socorro, New Mexico
  • 44 San Diego, California
  • 44 Orange, California
  • 44 Kern, California

Since I had the numbers, the worst counties with 5 or fewer (sans the Hawaiian counties with 0)

• 3 Sherman, Texas
  • 4 Aleutians East, Alaska
  • 4 Lane, Kansas
  • 4 McPherson, Nebraska
  • 5 Carson, Texas
  • 5 Franklin, Nebraska
  • 5 Grant, Oklahoma
  • 5 Hamlin, South Dakota
  • 5 Harmon, Oklahoma
  • 5 Jackson, Oklahoma
  • 5 King, Texas
  • 5 Rush, Kansas

One more fun stat, the most widely found is the Yellow-rumped Warbler in 3131 of 3139 counties

Edited by neilpa
  • Like 7
37 minutes ago, neilpa said:

This question of most warblers in a county piqued my curiosity so I decided to answer it definitively. I was able to use the eBird API to get the species list for each county and count the warblers. Turns out  4 counties top the list with 47 each. Here's the top-13 all with 44+

• 47 Pima, Arizona
  • 47 Nueces, Texas
  • 47 Cochise, Arizona
  • 47 Brewster, Texas
  • 46 Cameron, Texas
  • 45 San Francisco, California
  • 45 Roosevelt, New Mexico
  • 45 Hidalgo, Texas
  • 45 Cameron, Louisiana
  • 44 Socorro, New Mexico
  • 44 San Diego, California
  • 44 Orange, California
  • 44 Kern, California

This is awesome. Thanks for sharing!

Makes sense as most counties on the list either share (or are close to) the border with Mexico, are along the Gulf of Mexico, or stick out into the Pacific Ocean. Still cool to see. Kern, CA is an interesting county.

On 1/22/2021 at 5:33 PM, Gary Aldcroft said:

380269899_ScreenShot2021-01-22at1_41_14PM.png.538fd0df60e349e3e69f40f190957318.png

He has been visiting my birdbath and feeder in the backyard in Long Beach CA.  We have mostly sparrows but I would like to attract other varieties.  Any idea how to do that?

Gary

Welcome to WhatBird! Adding a suet feeder, if you don't have one already, can also attract more species. Also study some pictures of warblers and flycatchers (in a field guide or the ID tools here on WhatBird) and notice that the bill can give you clues about species. Also behavior, although some warblers act like flycatchers at times LOL! I love watching Townsend's Warblers hunting for insects; they look like flycatcher wannabees - same basic strategy but nowhere near as graceful and polished LOL! For Yellow-Rumped Warblers, even when in non-breeding plumage or when the rump isn't visible, those yellowish (or bright yellow, depending) patches under the wings are a good field mark to look for.

On 1/22/2021 at 9:18 PM, Connor Cochrane said:

Yes, the county borders of the Farrallons are ridiculous. Even though it's just a tiny little island, because of the closet point of land rule decided by birders for nautical county birders, my home county (Marin) basically got scammed of half of it's nautical space.

Wow! Some grand conspiracy to scam birders in Marin County? 😯🙄🤦‍♀️🤣

California birders get all excited over American Redstarts and Black-and-white Warblers, but at good migrant traps in the east you can see dozens of Redstarts in a day; heck, I have seen big mixed flocks of Bay-breasted and Cape May Warblers (at Nichols Arboretum, Ann Arbor, MI) which are mega rarities out here in California

Edited by AlexHenry

I guess my point here is that scrounging up the few vagrant eastern warblers that make it to California (though very exciting, I can’t deny) is a VERY different experience from witnessing the full force of that same migration along the Mississippi and Atlantic flyways

• Like 1
17 hours ago, neilpa said:

• 44 Orange, California

Hey, 44 for me! How come I only have seen 4 of em.