Whatbird Community

Milestones

I am at a total of 149, but hopefully can get to 150 today, because in my town there is a drainage pond, that I always bird. I hear a sora but never see it. I hear a grunting sound, that @Phalarope713told me was a Virginia rail, I count heard birds on my life list, so if I hear that today, boom I have 150. I will keep y’all updated on this.

I can probably crack 300 this year, while I'm still in VT. When I go off to college that'll be easy. Just need 10 more! Redhead, Mourning Warbler, Louisiana Waterthrush, Yellow-throated Vireo, Upland Sandpiper, Golden-winged Warbler, Orchard Oriole, Cliff Swallow, Iceland Gull and Black Tern are the ones I think I can get.

53 minutes ago, Avery said:

I can probably crack 300 this year, while I'm still in VT. When I go off to college that'll be easy. Just need 10 more! Redhead, Mourning Warbler, Louisiana Waterthrush, Yellow-throated Vireo, Upland Sandpiper, Golden-winged Warbler, Orchard Oriole, Cliff Swallow, Iceland Gull and Black Tern are the ones I think I can get.

Where are you going for College?

9 hours ago, Connor Cochrane said:

Where are you going for College?

Not sure yet, still waiting for one more school that was a “I wonder what would happen” application. Right now, it’s between Full Sail in Florida and Middle Tennessee

1 hour ago, Avery said:

Northeast is good for some things, but pure volume and variety seems like the West’s specialty!

I still think Plum Island (Essex Co., Massachusetts) is the best single birding spot in the US, in terms of seeing the most species in a single day at a single location... 

Edited by AlexHenry
  • Like 1

9 hours ago, AlexHenry said:

I still think Plum Island (Essex Co., Massachusetts) is the best single birding spot in the US, in terms of seeing the most species in a single day at a single location... 

That's true. Spring or Fall migration? I need to spend a day or two there at some point...

4 hours ago, Avery said:

That's true. Spring or Fall migration? I need to spend a day or two there at some point...

Depends what you’re looking for. Spring migration - especially the third week of May - is amazing. Lots of warblers, sparrows, shorebirds, lingering waterfowl, just very diverse.

Fall migration is probably less variety overall, but GREAT for shorebirds! August and September are really good

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...