Whatbird Community

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

Today I got to 365 consecutive days with a checklist! 🥳 

5 years straight of birding every single day for BN#2 today!  Real birding...walking around for hours...not just looking out the window for 15 minutes.  I could never keep that up.

100th bird of the year, lifer Varied Thrush! Terrible views, but only the 4th record for the county, and generally very rare on the east side of the state. https://ebird.org/checklist/S81757699

Posted Images

I am at a total of 149, but hopefully can get to 150 today, because in my town there is a drainage pond, that I always bird. I hear a sora but never see it. I hear a grunting sound, that @Phalarope713told me was a Virginia rail, I count heard birds on my life list, so if I hear that today, boom I have 150. I will keep y’all updated on this.

I can probably crack 300 this year, while I'm still in VT. When I go off to college that'll be easy. Just need 10 more! Redhead, Mourning Warbler, Louisiana Waterthrush, Yellow-throated Vireo, Upland Sandpiper, Golden-winged Warbler, Orchard Oriole, Cliff Swallow, Iceland Gull and Black Tern are the ones I think I can get.

53 minutes ago, Avery said:

I can probably crack 300 this year, while I'm still in VT. When I go off to college that'll be easy. Just need 10 more! Redhead, Mourning Warbler, Louisiana Waterthrush, Yellow-throated Vireo, Upland Sandpiper, Golden-winged Warbler, Orchard Oriole, Cliff Swallow, Iceland Gull and Black Tern are the ones I think I can get.

Where are you going for College?

9 hours ago, Connor Cochrane said:

Where are you going for College?

Not sure yet, still waiting for one more school that was a “I wonder what would happen” application. Right now, it’s between Full Sail in Florida and Middle Tennessee

1 hour ago, Hasan said:

Holy.. I miss birding in the west lol

I plan on doing a bunch of birding there when I’m older, and have the funds. Northeast is good for some things, but pure volume and variety seems like the West’s specialty!

1 hour ago, Avery said:

Northeast is good for some things, but pure volume and variety seems like the West’s specialty!

I still think Plum Island (Essex Co., Massachusetts) is the best single birding spot in the US, in terms of seeing the most species in a single day at a single location... 

Edited by AlexHenry
  • Like 1
9 hours ago, AlexHenry said:

I still think Plum Island (Essex Co., Massachusetts) is the best single birding spot in the US, in terms of seeing the most species in a single day at a single location... 

That's true. Spring or Fall migration? I need to spend a day or two there at some point...

4 hours ago, Avery said:

That's true. Spring or Fall migration? I need to spend a day or two there at some point...

Depends what you’re looking for. Spring migration - especially the third week of May - is amazing. Lots of warblers, sparrows, shorebirds, lingering waterfowl, just very diverse.

Fall migration is probably less variety overall, but GREAT for shorebirds! August and September are really good

• Like 1

I try to at least just look at the feeder for a minute and report the birds I see every day. Also, my route to school changes a little bit so I can troll for shrikes, which helps some days. 

• 2 weeks later...

Its funny, I've been creeping up on 300 just by sitting on my bed going through old photos. I found three from Europe, and have found a couple of birds I don't have a checklist for. 😂