Whatbird Community

Milestones

• 3 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

Not the biggest milestone, but I did just hit 325 species in Marin county. 

I’m at 199 in Marin so very close to a milestone. 

325 is a pretty sweet County list. Think you’ll hit 300 for the year? Fall migration should bring a nice burst of shorebirds and vagrant songbirds

• Like 1

38 minutes ago, AlexHenry said:

I’m at 199 in Marin so very close to a milestone. 

325 is a pretty sweet County list. Think you’ll hit 300 for the year? Fall migration should bring a nice burst of shorebirds and vagrant songbirds

Probably, it depends if I can get rides out to the OP in the next few months. I did have a few big misses during the winter so as long as migration isn't horrible like it was this spring I think it'll be possible. 

27 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

Probably, it depends if I can get rides out to the OP in the next few months.

If you ever are in a situation where you really need a ride out to the outer point, especially if it’s on a weekend, I might be able to help out. I’d like to get to know Point Reyes better this fall

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, AlexHenry said:

If you ever are in a situation where you really need a ride out to the outer point, especially if it’s on a weekend, I might be able to help out. I’d like to get to know Point Reyes better this fall

I'll probably take you up on that offer later this year. There are many spots in Point Reyes that can be productive that aren't well known at all and are rarely covered that I can show you.

• 3 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

I think if you look hard enough you'll find a Golden.  We see them here every winter (that's what was with the raven in the photo I posted earlier, if you didn't know).

That's really cool. Only one county record for Golden, actually, from November 2017, so chances are pretty low, but as you said it's possible if I look in the right places.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Very cool! Especially since the Golden-winged warbler is unfortunately Near Threatened.

I'm sure I remember hearing somewhere that their numbers are going down particularly fast. There seems to be a lot showing up around the state at the moment though, so hopefully that's indicative of a good breeding season for them. We found another one the day after too in a completely different location, which was a bit of a surprise considering we'd never seen one before!

• Like 2
  • Sad 1

3 minutes ago, NorthernKeys said:

I'm sure I remember hearing somewhere that their numbers are going down particularly fast. There seems to be a lot showing up around the state at the moment though, so hopefully that's indicative of a good breeding season for them. We found another one the day after too in a completely different location, which was a bit of a surprise considering we'd never seen one before!

Yes, I hope they recover. On another note, I just realized that the Common Grackles conservation status is also Near Threatened now, and I'm in shock. Their numbers have declined by more than 60 percent in the last forty years. I never knew!

• Sad 3