Jump to content
Whatbird Community

Milestones


Recommended Posts

  • 3 weeks later...
40 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

Not the biggest milestone, but I did just hit 325 species in Marin county. 

I’m at 199 in Marin so very close to a milestone. 
 

325 is a pretty sweet County list. Think you’ll hit 300 for the year? Fall migration should bring a nice burst of shorebirds and vagrant songbirds

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

38 minutes ago, AlexHenry said:

I’m at 199 in Marin so very close to a milestone. 
 

325 is a pretty sweet County list. Think you’ll hit 300 for the year? Fall migration should bring a nice burst of shorebirds and vagrant songbirds

Probably, it depends if I can get rides out to the OP in the next few months. I did have a few big misses during the winter so as long as migration isn't horrible like it was this spring I think it'll be possible. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

27 minutes ago, Connor Cochrane said:

Probably, it depends if I can get rides out to the OP in the next few months.

If you ever are in a situation where you really need a ride out to the outer point, especially if it’s on a weekend, I might be able to help out. I’d like to get to know Point Reyes better this fall

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

41 minutes ago, AlexHenry said:

If you ever are in a situation where you really need a ride out to the outer point, especially if it’s on a weekend, I might be able to help out. I’d like to get to know Point Reyes better this fall

I'll probably take you up on that offer later this year. There are many spots in Point Reyes that can be productive that aren't well known at all and are rarely covered that I can show you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 3 weeks later...
37 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

I think if you look hard enough you'll find a Golden.  We see them here every winter (that's what was with the raven in the photo I posted earlier, if you didn't know).

That's really cool. Only one county record for Golden, actually, from November 2017, so chances are pretty low, but as you said it's possible if I look in the right places.

  • Like 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

54 minutes ago, Quiscalus quiscula said:

Very cool! Especially since the Golden-winged warbler is unfortunately Near Threatened.

I'm sure I remember hearing somewhere that their numbers are going down particularly fast. There seems to be a lot showing up around the state at the moment though, so hopefully that's indicative of a good breeding season for them. We found another one the day after too in a completely different location, which was a bit of a surprise considering we'd never seen one before!

  • Like 2
  • Sad 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, NorthernKeys said:

I'm sure I remember hearing somewhere that their numbers are going down particularly fast. There seems to be a lot showing up around the state at the moment though, so hopefully that's indicative of a good breeding season for them. We found another one the day after too in a completely different location, which was a bit of a surprise considering we'd never seen one before!

Yes, I hope they recover. On another note, I just realized that the Common Grackles conservation status is also Near Threatened now, and I'm in shock. Their numbers have declined by more than 60 percent in the last forty years. I never knew!

  • Sad 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...