Jump to content
Whatbird Community

Choke Canyon State Park - Calliham Unit - 1/24/21


Recommended Posts

Well, the Spotted Rail was an epic fail, but the Virginia Rail made for a nice runner-up prize, along with several other lifers for me.  I'll try again some other time...as for ID help/confirmation for some, please see below and thanks.

1.  Cinnamon Teal?

2. House Wren?

3. Ruddy Duck?

4. Northern Shoveler?

5. Ring-necked Duck?

6. Blue-winged Teal?

7. Virginia Rail (if not, what a sad intro to this post!)

8. Common Yellowthroat?

 

DSCN2125.JPG

DSCN2025.JPG

DSCN1916.JPG

DSCN1990.JPG

DSCN1959.JPG

DSCN1626.JPG

DSCN1589.JPG

DSCN1295.JPG

Link to post
Share on other sites

@Seanbirdsthanks for the sentiment!  Honestly, I had a great time regardless, was able to add 11 lifers, ID'd 50 species that day (with the help of some imported fancy birders from California there for the Spotted Rail), and generally just enjoyed the masked and socially distanced opportunity to run into some serious birders in real life for once.  Lots of interesting people there (10 - 20 or so at any given point, spread out around the "75-Acre Lake" in question), so pretty new & exciting stuff to me in any case.   Sadly, I didn't find any whatbird-ers out there, but I asked pretty much everyone I ran into just in case 🙂
 

  • Like 2
Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, Caley Thomas said:

1.  Cinnamon Teal?

I understand that you're trying to get confirmation, but male Cinnamons are, perhaps, the most distinctive dabbling duck, because there's just nothing really like them when they're in basic plumage.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, Caley Thomas said:

  Sadly, I didn't find any whatbird-ers out there, but I asked pretty much everyone I ran into just in case 🙂
 

I have yet to as well. Seems like a lot of us are in Cali! We do seem to have a decent national and international spread though! I have yet to run into @The Bird Nuts, but I haven’t really been down to their neck of the woods yet. 

Edited by Avery
  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, Avery said:

I have yet to as well. Seems like a lot of us are in Cali! We do seem to have a decent national and international spread though! I have yet to run into @The Bird Nuts, but I haven’t really been down to their neck of the woods yet. 

I wish there were more than one whatbirder from KANSAS. :classic_sad: The whatbirders I have the best chance of running into are @Shrike and @Kevin.

  • Like 1
Link to post
Share on other sites
13 hours ago, Tony Leukering said:

I understand that you're trying to get confirmation, but male Cinnamons are, perhaps, the most distinctive dabbling duck, because there's just nothing really like them when they're in basic plumage.

@Tony LeukeringFair point I'm sure.  In fact, I feel that same way about many of my bird ID requests I've posted here looking back just a little bit in time at them.  Ironically, however, one of the fancy California birders had refuted the claim I had seen them there, presumably due to the fact that he had not yet ID'd them himself that morning and it was (perhaps) a temporary blow to his ego. 

His immediate reaction to my passing comment of Cinnamon observation was that it was probably just a Redhead, so given that, I thought I might as well be sure with team whatbird before putting it on my checklist. 

In any event, I hope you will take some solace in the fact that I held back from posting pics of my first Green Jay and Audubon's Oriole here for the same reasons you cited above 😜

By the way, I looked at top listers in the state of Texas several days ago (for 2021 to date) and was more than impressed to see you at the number 2 position overall, despite the fact you don't even live here - very impressive, sir!

Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, Caley Thomas said:

  Ironically, however, one of the fancy California birders had refuted the claim I had seen them there, presumably due to the fact that he had not yet ID'd them himself that morning and it was (perhaps) a temporary blow to his ego. 

His immediate reaction to my passing comment of Cinnamon observation was that it was probably just a Redhead, so given that, I thought I might as well be sure with team whatbird before putting it on my checklist. 

 

I can relate to that! I had to spend an hour trying to convince other birders I was with that I had seen a long spur, as it almost hit me in the head as it flew accros the lake onto the shoreline! I had some poor pics, that showed some of the obvious ID marks, and they kept saying it was a savannah sparrow. Once I found it again, since I had been continuously hearing it, and got better pictures, they were all like, OH! Where is it?!? 😂 

  • Haha 3
Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, Caley Thomas said:

 

In any event, I hope you will take some solace in the fact that I held back from posting pics of my first Green Jay and Audubon's Oriole here for the same reasons you cited above 😜

I wanna see your Green Jay photos! 

Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

×
×
  • Create New...