Whatbird Community

I have so many worries & concerns...

floraphile

I am really upset by this, but can see both sides.   My family was in the cattle business and many years ago, before I was born,  the vultures became so numerous & brazen that they would attack & begin eating calves when the calves were still in the process of being birthed.  My family had to secure federal permits to trap & dispatch the birds, but the permissions were very limited in time, area, and even the actual process of shooting the birds (they had to construct a sort of chute/trap and then shoot the birds once they were confined).  Does anyone have any insight on this behavior by the birds and the best resolution strategies?  Does hanging a vulture in effigy truly discourage other birds?

https://www.wrbl.com/alabama-news-2/turkey-vultures-roosting-near-opelika-middle-school-creating-health-concerns-and-controversy/

Edited by floraphile
typo

7 minutes ago, floraphile said:

I am really upset by this, but can see both sides.   My family was in the cattle business and many years ago, before I was born,  the vultures became so numerous & brazen that they would attack & begin eating calves when the calves were still in the process of being birthed.  My family had to secure federal permits to trap & dispatch the birds, but the permissions were very limited in time, area, and even the actual process of shooting the birds (they had to construct a sort of chute/trap and then shoot the birds once they were confined).  Does anyone have any insight on this behavior by the birds and the best resolution strategies?  Does hanging a vulture in effigy truly discourage other birds?

https://www.wrbl.com/alabama-news-2/turkey-vultures-roosting-near-opelika-middle-school-creating-health-concerns-and-controversy/

I also looked at their photo and it shows Black Vultures.