Whatbird Community

This is a follow-up from the stats I posted about warblers by county. Thought a dedicated thread to share the google sheet I hacked together would be better than continuing in the ID forum.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kUMgBdJdPkA_kumRp9aEMHmO-Kkyl8PB0j7TDEKzVnU

I wanted to poke at the data some more and figured some of you folks might also find it interesting. There's a "counties" tab with various counts of species and a "species" tab with numbers of counties containing them. Note, you'll need to make a copy of the spreadsheet to your account if you want to use the sorts/filters that are setup. Also, this sheet kind of pushes the limits of what google docs can do so it may be a bit slow.

I wanted to differentiate expected vs. vagrant species since that would be pretty useful on something like this. However, I've not found an easy way to pull the equivalent of the eBird bar chart data. If I do I'll probably make a v2 of this. Also, if anyone's interested it should be trivial to make a Canadian version of this with the scripts I have (or any other geographic breakdown for that matter).

6 minutes ago, neilpa said:

This is a follow-up from the stats I posted about warblers by county. Thought a dedicated thread to share the google sheet I hacked together would be better than continuing in the ID forum.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kUMgBdJdPkA_kumRp9aEMHmO-Kkyl8PB0j7TDEKzVnU

I wanted to poke at the data some more and figured some of you folks might also find it interesting. There's a "counties" tab with various counts of species and a "species" tab with numbers of counties containing them. Note, you'll need to make a copy of the spreadsheet to your account if you want to use the sorts/filters that are setup. Also, this sheet kind of pushes the limits of what google docs can do so it may be a bit slow.

I wanted to differentiate expected vs. vagrant species since that would be pretty useful on something like this. However, I've not found an easy way to pull the equivalent of the eBird bar chart data. If I do I'll probably make a v2 of this. Also, if anyone's interested it should be trivial to make a Canadian version of this with the scripts I have (or any other geographic breakdown for that matter).

Sorry, it says I need access to view the doc

1 minute ago, IKLland said:

Sorry, it says I need access to view the doc

Hmm. I made the doc public and I'm able to see it from a private browsing window where I'm signed out from my google account. Maybe try this link, although I didn't think the `?usp=sharing` query param made a difference.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kUMgBdJdPkA_kumRp9aEMHmO-Kkyl8PB0j7TDEKzVnU/edit?usp=sharing

Just now, neilpa said:

Hmm. I made the doc public and I'm able to see it from a private browsing window where I'm signed out from my google account. Maybe try this link, although I didn't think the `?usp=sharing` query param made a difference.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1kUMgBdJdPkA_kumRp9aEMHmO-Kkyl8PB0j7TDEKzVnU/edit?usp=sharing

Still won’t work. Hhhmmm, maybe if you can/ want to, you can copy and paste everything, if it’s not too much. You don’t have to, just a suggestion 

7 minutes ago, IKLland said:

Here is what mine looks like, I am signed in

Weird. If you want you can click the "Request Access" button and I should be able to share it with you directly.

Edited by neilpa

I am 29/32 Warbler, 16/17 Sparrows, and 32/32 Waterfowl (assuming this is Ducks, Geese, Swans).  92.3% of overall eBird reported birds.  There are around 27 birds I've found historical records for that aren't in eBird though.  

Would need Connecticut Warbler, Louisiana Waterthrush and Kirtland's Warbler to catch up (also there are records of Prairie Warbler and Worm-eating not in eBird).  Need Lark Sparrow for Sparrows, which won't happen.  

1 minute ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Interesting.  What I downloaded has all the county names and codes, but there's only data for the first 15 counties or so.

I'm assuming you tried the Excel doc? I used a bunch of COUNTIFS formulas to generate the aggregate data. I'm guessing that those didn't export correctly from the google sheet. Let me see if I can fix that up.

now just remember, i have only been birding since late may 0f 2020, but not seriously until around october. 

i have 143/503 total 😞 not good!

i have 4/44 for warblers.: ( not good!

i have 6/29 for sparrow, not good again. @neilpabut only if towhees count, also do juncos count?

i have do grebes, count? if so, i have 26/ 43 for waterfowl. If grebes count?