Whatbird Community

Hello,

I took this picture this morning in Maryland. We are in the eastern shore in a some what rural area, near water and large open fields. It is a hawk but I could get no closer and it was very cloudy. Any help would be appreciated.

12C3DB23-5117-46A4-B2DE-DCE741EED3C5.jpeg

EABFA079-753C-4827-B361-BC04D7C3489F.jpeg

Edited by Birdfan56
Added photo

Looks pretty good for a Harlan's Red-tailed Hawk (possibly light morph?). Lack of a white base to the tail rules out Rough-legged Hawk.

EDIT: Just checked eBird reports, Harlan's would be quite rare. I'm not sure what else this could be. 

Edited by Melierax

The heavily banded tail points well away from Rough-legged (see cropped, lightened version of pic). The whitish front to the face does suggest Harlan's, but I'd want better photos with different angles before actually reporting the beast as a Harlan's.

hawk-wb.PNG

Edited by Tony Leukering
addition
  • Like 2
3 hours ago, Tony Leukering said:

The heavily banded tail points well away from Rough-legged (see cropped, lightened version of pic). The whitish front to the face does suggest Harlan's, but I'd want better photos with different angles before actually reporting the beast as a Harlan's.

hawk-wb.PNG

Agreed.

• Thanks 1
6 hours ago, Tony Leukering said:

hawk-wb.PNG

Thanks this will take some time but I think  you may be right

2 hours ago, Birdfan56 said:

Thanks this will take some time but I think  you may be right

sorry, i forgot, @Birdfan56welcome to whatbird! just realized this was your first post! feel free to check out any of the other forums and/or post in them anytime! it's a great site!

• Thanks 1
8 hours ago, Tony Leukering said:

hawk-wb.PNG

Thank you so  much! Any information is greatly appreciated! I wish I haD better photo’s 

Edited by Birdfan56
On 1/26/2021 at 1:08 PM, Tony Leukering said:

hawk-wb.PNG

Thanks! Just curious - I've recently been interested in RTHA x RLHA hybrids. Since this bird does have a substantial dark tail tip, is this a possibility? I also think the beak looks a bit small for Red-tailed, the angle is tough though.

• Like 1
1 hour ago, Melierax said:

Thanks! Just curious - I've recently been interested in RTHA x RLHA hybrids. Since this bird does have a substantial dark tail tip, is this a possibility? I also think the beak looks a bit small for Red-tailed, the angle is tough though.

We'd need more angles on this bird to tell if it was a hybrid.