Whatbird Community

Flycatcher

Just now, IKLland said:

Why not a black phoebe? It looks very much like one to me

It looks black-and-white mostly because its overexposed, washing the colors out a bit. The proportions and bill shape seem more like a myiarchus than a Black Phoebe, with that long tail and large bill. And in the last couple photos, it looks like there might be some rufous on the wing... that's just what I'm seeing though, given the photos its as much speculation as anything

Just now, AlexHenry said:

It looks black-and-white mostly because its overexposed, washing the colors out a bit. The proportions and bill shape seem more like a myiarchus than a Black Phoebe, with that long tail and large bill. And in the last couple photos, it looks like there might be some rufous on the wing... that's just what I'm seeing though, given the photos its as much speculation as anything

Yeah, this might just need to be left in my opinion as flycatcher sp.

Thank you, It was a myiarchus. I was wondering if it was a Ash-throated or a vagrant, like Great Crested Flycatcher or dusky-capped or something. It's not a black phoebe because of the large, thick bill and very long tail. It's overall too stocky for and upright for black phoebe.

Thanks!