Whatbird Community

Semipalmated or Western?

22 minutes ago, Bird-Boys said:

Thank you! The bird in question is the one on the bottom right. The other two are western.

Thanks, I should have payed more attention to the background bird on the right. The bottom right bird is for sure a semipalm, with the rounded off looking scapulars and shorter bill. 

• Thanks 1

The left and back bird are quite clearly Westerns. However, I would be very cautious calling the frontmost bird a Semi- its bill is in that overlap range where it is on the short-billed side for Western but perhaps just a tad bit longer than most Semis out west. Also, those scaps are fairly bright for that time of year- not impossible for Semi but definitely on the bright side. It's really hard to judge from a single photo, and I don't think I'd call it solely on this.

Edited by Hasan
  • Like 1

11 hours ago, Hasan said:

The left and back bird are quite clearly Westerns. However, I would be very cautious calling the frontmost bird a Semi- its bill is in that overlap range where it is on the short-billed side for Western but perhaps just a tad bit longer than most Semis out west. Also, those scaps are fairly bright for that time of year- not impossible for Semi but definitely on the bright side. It's really hard to judge from a single photo, and I don't think I'd call it solely on this.

I like all western here. Aren’t semipalms not on the west coast?