Whatbird Community

Brazilian bird

The bird was seen on top of a big tree, on the side of the river Tocantins, in the state of Tocantins, Brazil in January.

It looked like a bird of pray.   It was about the size of a crow.  The head was white with a black cap, with larger feathers in the nape.  The chest was light colored with black spots.  The tail was long and striped under.  The bill was yellow, short and thick, and I didn't see the "bird of pray" hook (but it was far away).  The wings were dark gray and the legs blue-gray.  I only saw its front from below, I don't know what it looked like on the back.

Any clues?

Thank you,

10 minutes ago, Marta said:
The bird was seen on top of a big tree, on the side of the river Tocantins, in the state of Tocantins, Brazil in January.

It looked like a bird of pray.   It was about the size of a crow.  The head was white with a black cap, with larger feathers in the nape.  The chest was light colored with black spots.  The tail was long and striped under.  The bill was yellow, short and thick, and I didn't see the "bird of pray" hook (but it was far away).  The wings were dark gray and the legs blue-gray.  I only saw its front from below, I don't know what it looked like on the back.

Any clues?

Thank you,

Hard to tell what it was. I’m sorry, but I’m not very familiar with Brazilian birds. Do you, by chance, have any photos?

Here's a list of birds that might be a fit

Guira guira, Piaya cayana, Sarcoramphus papa, Cathartes burrovianus, Cathartes melambrotus, Gampsonyx swainsonii, Chondrohierax uncinatus, Morphnus guianensis, Spizaetus ornatus, Harpagus diodon, Accipiter poliogaster, Accipiter superciliosus, Nystalus striolatus, Celus sp, Micrastur ruficollis, Milvago chimachima, Herpetotheres cachinnans, Don't think It could be a Passerines but not famillier with Brasillian birds 

3 minutes ago, Aaron said:

What a bout an immature yellow-headed caracara? Does not fit exactly 100%, but they have blue gray legs. 

I was thinking caracara as well...

Edited by Avery

5 minutes ago, MichaelLong said:

Guira guira, Piaya cayana, Sarcoramphus papa, Cathartes burrovianus, Cathartes melambrotus, Gampsonyx swainsonii, Chondrohierax uncinatus, Morphnus guianensis, Spizaetus ornatus, Harpagus diodon, Accipiter poliogaster, Accipiter superciliosus, Nystalus striolatus, Celus sp, Micrastur ruficollis, Milvago chimachima, Herpetotheres cachinnans, Don't think It could be a Passerines but not famillier with Brasillian birds 

Why did you use their scientific names??

On 1/27/2021 at 7:16 PM, Seanbirds said:

Hard to tell what it was. I’m sorry, but I’m not very familiar with Brazilian birds. Do you, by chance, have any photos?

I was hoping someone familiar with Brazilian birds could help.

No, I don't have photos.

Thank you

On 1/27/2021 at 7:43 PM, Aaron said:

What a bout an immature yellow-headed caracara? Does not fit exactly 100%, but they have blue gray legs. 

Yes, thank you.

There was an adult in the area as well.

On 1/27/2021 at 8:46 PM, MichaelLong said:

On 1/29/2021 at 9:46 AM, MichaelLong said:

BECAUSE COMMON NAMES ARE FOR THE WEAK MEAR HOMO SAPIANS 

MUAHAHAHAHAAA

The mere humans seeking help with an ID probably don't find a list of scientific names all that helpful, and using scientific names certainly isn't a sign of strength. 😉