Whatbird Community

Crackling Goose Confirmation

Salt Lake City, Utah. 1/21/21

I have yet to ID a crackling goose. There have been a number of times where I thought I found one but others opinions where that they were just small Canada Geese. I think this time I might have one. I think this might be a Crackling Goose (Taverner’s). Let me know what you think. Thanks!! 

IMG_8232dd.thumb.jpg.f3e87f1f0cf0ac51afaee781bbef2483.jpg

IMG_8261d.thumb.jpg.280de7a72673f1444b75a0c2726f9cba.jpg

Pictured next to a larger Canada Goose. 

IMG_8267d.thumb.jpg.d9ecca5e967684c11e15ce7866a49f59.jpg

Thanks for the feedback, @AlexHenry, @Seanbirds, @Phalarope713.On the all about birds page for crackling goose it seems like the other subspecies (Richardson's, Minima, and etc) listed have smaller bill, however the Taverner's subspecies seems to have a bit longer of a bill. I have seen some of the ebird data citing Taverner's around salt lake area. So I was originally, thinking it might be that subspecies. Hybrid could also make some sense!

19 hours ago, AlexGeorge said:

Thanks for the feedback, @AlexHenry, @Seanbirds, @Phalarope713.On the all about birds page for crackling goose it seems like the other subspecies (Richardson's, Minima, and etc) listed have smaller bill, however the Taverner's subspecies seems to have a bit longer of a bill. I have seen some of the ebird data citing Taverner's around salt lake area. So I was originally, thinking it might be that subspecies. Hybrid could also make some sense!

Just mentioning that it's Cackling, not Crackling. 🙂

2 minutes ago, AlexGeorge said:

Oh my!! can't believe I didn't notice that! haha, that is embarrassing! Thanks for pointing that out 🙂

Don't worry, a lot of things like that happen on this forum. You aren't even the first to call it a Crackling Goose!

One of my favorites is the Northern Spatula

• Like 1
  • Haha 3

Used to get a little annoyed by auto correct posts (some of which I never could translate), but starting to enjoy them (I have been detecting a younger influence recently).

Crackling Goose my current favourite (Neil Diamond connection, I could almost do some new lyrics?), closely followed by Angina. Would have loved to see the original thread @HamRHead.