Whatbird Community

Sparrows & Their Allies

9 hours ago, Connor Cochrane said:

Is that the Abbotts lagoon bird? I was never able to get out/ or find it. 

I wish. I spent 3+ hours at the LCSP spot at Abbotts, downwind of a rotting cow carcass looking for the bird and never saw/heard it. It was a tough day birding. I know one person who didn't get the Marin bird until their 5th attempt.  

This was the Blufftop Coastal Park bird in HMB. A first San Mateo County record at the time.

• 1 month later...

Since I got my new camera( yesterday), I have practiced in my yard, got some better shots of song and white crowned sparrows! 
Song Sparrow: https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/314654381#_ga=2.80776023.1969152794.1615219236-1955318793.15928739672400?__hstc=264660688.b2752c042a3bc5a0fc

White-crowned sparrow: https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/314653971#_ga=2.261728205.1969152794.1615219236-1955318793.15928739672400?__hstc=264660688.b2752c042a3bc5a0fc

• Like 3

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...

Like Warblers and Woodpeckers topics I thought I would start one for Sparrows. This is a bird family I mostly ignore as I waded into birding. Then I grew to have a love hate thing with them as I learned to id them. Then I loved them! Moving from Colorado to Florida and finding there are just not as many I find I miss them. Please post your sparrow photo here as a salute to sparrows. Please id your photo and give at least the State. If there is already a topic for this let know. I will start with my favorite sparrow as it was the easiest to learn to id and it is a good looking sparrow. Lark Sparrow Colorado

080 (4).JPG

• Like 3

What do you bet I took this in Texas? Black-throated Sparrow.2400

Edited by Kevin
If the California goverment is so great, why are so many California people moveing to Texas?
  • Like 2
  • Haha 2

28 minutes ago, Kevin said:

TEXAN Grasshopper Sparrow.

27 minutes ago, Kevin said:

TEXAS, Chipping Sparrow.

24 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Clay-colored Sparrow. Texas!

17 minutes ago, Kevin said:

I'll let y'all guess where.(Answer in editing comments.) Field Sparrow.

13 minutes ago, Kevin said:

What do you bet I took this in Texas? Black-throated Sparrow.2400

You tell ‘em, Lone Star man! 

• Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, Seanbirds said:

You tell ‘em, Lone Star man! 

@TexasCobra We do have a pretty big ego don't we?

We were talking to a guy whose son was a missionary in Australasia. I don't remember where they where from(Montana?) but they were not living is Texas yet. Any way when he got there people would ask him where he was from and he would tell the what state, but when he told them they didn't believe him at first they told him that there where only Texans and Americans.  He said some people where so definite he had to get his phone out and show them!

• Haha 3

A Texan Fox Sparrow.

Edited by Kevin
If I make the comment that the other day I saw that California was helping the great white sharks, make up for me making a jab at it?
  • Like 5

Texas. White-crowned Sparrow.

Edited by Kevin
Ok, I'll shut up now, before I get myself kicked of the forum. You see today I am feeling somthing simular to what @Charlie Spencer said, I TRY to behave mysef here.
  • Like 4
  • Haha 2