Whatbird Community

January 2021 Confirmations/Uncertainties

I’m fine with that as a Double-crested Cormorant. 

You could always leave it as cormorant sp. as well.

If it was a Neotropic, you’d need better photos to claim it as such - ideally alongside a Double-crested for size comparison. Looks like that would be the first county record of Neotropic Cormorant. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

7 hours ago, AlexHenry said:

I’m fine with that as a Double-crested Cormorant. 

You could always leave it as cormorant sp. as well.

If it was a Neotropic, you’d need better photos to claim it as such - ideally alongside a Double-crested for size comparison. Looks like that would be the first county record of Neotropic Cormorant. Extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence.

I think it would also be the first state  record, so "Cormorant sp." it is.  

@AlexHenry @Avery @Hasan  I went back through my pictures from that day and can see the cormorant in question in the background in a couple of them and he is definitely a Double-Crested as his orange skin anterior to the eye is easily seen in those pictures.  That white gular outline and the inability to discern the pre-ocular skin in the original posted pics was what gave me pause.  

Edited by floraphile
typo
  • Like 2

On 2/2/2021 at 5:03 PM, Avery said:

supercilious

Spellcheck, I assume.

The cormorant's head looks large and blocky, but the foreneck and chest look far too brown for a first-cycle DC in Jan. Neotrop or hybrid (so, in eBird, Neotropic/Double-crested Cormorant), unless better pix can be obtained.

Edited by Tony Leukering
addition