Whatbird Community
Sign in to follow this  
Mila

Little bird from the Yucatan

Why not Yucatan Vireo with that big bill and drab plumage overall? I have no personal experience with them, but just a thought.

• Thanks 1

On 9/25/2018 at 2:03 PM, akiley said:

Why not Yucatan Vireo with that big bill and drab plumage overall? I have no personal experience with them, but just a thought.

That was my question.  Well, one of them.  The other was why the query is in this forum.  I understand that it is for "North America," but most ABA=Area birders consider that area to be, essentially, the continental US plus Canada (and St. Pierre et Miquelon).  Since actual "North America" extends through Panama and this forum obviously does not get lots of queries about antthrushes and euphonias, I think that "North America" in this usage is intended as equivalent to the ABA Area.  Just sayin'.

• Like 1

On 9/25/2018 at 3:03 PM, akiley said:

Thank you!  I am undecided between the two of them!! Hopefully I will come across another mark to tell them apart!

On 9/26/2018 at 3:25 PM, Tony Leukering said:

That was my question.  Well, one of them.  The other was why the query is in this forum.  I understand that it is for "North America," but most ABA=Area birders consider that area to be, essentially, the continental US plus Canada (and St. Pierre et Miquelon).  Since actual "North America" extends through Panama and this forum obviously does not get lots of queries about antthrushes and euphonias, I think that "North America" in this usage is intended as equivalent to the ABA Area.  Just sayin'.

I am sorry, but I disagree with you.

First of all, geographically, the definition of North America is always a problem. Some people consider that it only includes Canada, USA and Mexico and others extend the definition to include all the countries through to Panama, just as you suggested.

Second,  a lot of the birds that are discussed in this forum winter in Mexico and spend the summer in the US or Canada, so not all of the queries from birds seen in Mexico will be out of the area of expertise of most of the American and Canadian birders.

Third, when the forum was being rebuilt a couple of months ago, I specifically mentioned this possible confusion with the North American forum, and since no one raised any objections, I understood it was fine to post requests of help to ID birds seen in Mexico in this forum. https://forums.whatbird.com/index.php?/topic/56-birding-category-topics/

• Like 1