Whatbird Community

I've been trying to relocate some Hoary's now that the calendar has flipped. Thank you in advance.  

I realize the second pic is blurry, but only shot I have of it with head turned.  Looks more smush-faced, and streaking is thin with very faint pink.  I also think the red on head is smaller.

91a9337_orig.jpg

91a9339_orig.jpg

Do you have any shots if the UnTC or rump? What we can see of this bird looks good, but I’d want to see rump especially. Oh, that reminds me...

Edited by Avery
3 minutes ago, Avery said:

Do you have any shots if the UnTC or rump? What we can see of this bird looks good, but I’d want to see rump especially. Oh, that reminds me...

Agreed. Looks like a great candidate for Hoary Redpoll.

1 minute ago, chipperatl said:

@Avery - nope this is it. It was a huge flock that would respond to pishing, but they keep flying over the Jeep to the other side.  Very few stayed in camera range.  

Yeah, redpolls are annoying that way. We have a flock of about 100 in the neighborhood, but they never stay for more than a minute at my feeders, leaving no time to sort through them. 

As for your bird, I would leave this as redpoll sp. I make it a personal rule that I have to see a pale rump on a redpoll before calling it a hoary. I just posted a redpoll question myself, as I am not sure if the pics show the rump or not. I hope you can get more looks at this bird! Look for a bright butt! 😆