Whatbird Community

Bird calls - this morning, at my southern NJ home (Ocean County)

Hi everyone. My first post here.  What a great resource.  

I was hoping to participate in this year's GBBC, but I am fairly ignorant, outside of the regulars I see on my deck/yard eating seed/suet in winter:  Juncos, Chickadees, Starlings, Blue Jays, Red Bellied Woodpeckers, Doves.

First clip has two different calls — are they two different birds? Bird calls 4 Feb.amr

They don't sound like any calls in the list of "common birds" for winter in NJ that I went through, but surely they are common?

House is in mobile home park, in semi-rural area. There are plenty of large clusters of trees and brush around houses… Backs up to forest. About 12 miles from shore.

I'm sorry volume is so low.  I can hear it—hopefully you can.

Welcome!!

Both are Carolina Wrens. Different variations on their "teakettle teakettle teakettle" song. I'm currently in PA and there's plenty here, I'd assume that NJ is similar. I think they're relatively common throughout the east.

Edited by Melierax

Thanks for the replies!  

Ok--I listened to two different Carolina Wren recordings, on these sites:  

https://www.bird-sounds.net/carolina-wren/?type982

https://nationalzoo.si.edu/scbi/migratorybirds/education/nasongkey.pl?bird=Carolina+Wren+(1)

Would you say there is great variation between individual birds of a species? If so, I don't think I am likely to be able to identify birds this way, as they all sound different to me. 

I can't seem to edit my reply, but I just now listened to Kevin's link to the allaboutbirds recording.

Yes, that one sounds like mine.  

Thanks again, you guys.  I'm sure I will be asking for more help.

2 hours ago, KC in NJ said:

I can't seem to edit my reply, but I just now listened to Kevin's link to the allaboutbirds recording.

Yes, that one sounds like mine.  

Thanks again, you guys.  I'm sure I will be asking for more help.

Another great resource for sounds is the Macaulay Library. You can search up a bird species, and see pictures, video, and audio from it, and even specify time of year, location, etc. Carolina Wren songs are definitely variable, and they produce a myriad of different sounds. I'm not sure if it's a regional thing, or just a species thing. All birds usually follow the same pattern and tone in their calls and songs, but each bird sounds a little different. You'll get better at sounds as you get more experience, especially if you focus on the audio aspect of birding. I like to think of it like this: Each species has their own voice (ie, the tone of the songs and calls), but each individual bird has something different to say.

Thanks so much, Avery. …Yes, the site Kevin linked (which is run by Cornell) actually appears to use the Macaulay Library data.   Lots of different photos, regional differences, and multiple sound clips for each bird.  

…Yes, this wren is claimed to use many different songs:  "Each male has a repertoire of up to several dozen different song variations. "

I've learned something already from this—that there may be many birds I may hear but rarely if ever see at the seed on my deck, since they prefer to hide in the bushes, like this wren.  So, I will indeed have to learn some bird songs, to know they are around.

6 minutes ago, KC in NJ said:

Wow, Kevin re: ebird…  Based on that (assuming all the entries were correctly identified as Carolina Wren), this wren varies a lot in its song. 

Yes, their songs are SO variable.  They'll even copy other birds' songs!