Whatbird Community

Facebook - to join or not to join?

2 hours ago, lonestranger said:

It's the same/only profile pic I have used since I joined in 2009 so it might be familiar to some of the members. I got tired of reloading it when the site was going through it's phase of crashes but recent talk about pfp kind of pushed me to upload it again.

Yup, I remember that photo. And I'm still using my first and only. 

I joined FB in 2009 to keep up with my increasingly mobile offspring. Terrific!  Old friends started "friending" me.  Good.  Then people who I barely knew.  Not necessarily bad.  Then people with whom I really didn't want to be "friends"...then total strangers...then really wacko, unknown, weirdos.  Not cool.   I reset my privacy, got rid of a lot of "friends", and left several groups.   Now, I check it once a day to see what's up with my far-flung children & grandchildren, local activities, and interest groups, because FB is where I can find that information in the most efficient manner.  I don't like it, but, it appears to be a necessary evil--especially in these times of being perpetually homebound. I just limit visits and stop scrolling when it gets murky.  And I never answer those silly lists, open attachments or watch videos.  And I do not use FB Messenger.

6 minutes ago, floraphile said:

I joined FB in 2009 to keep up with my increasingly mobile offspring. Terrific!  ...  Now, I check it once a day to see what's up with my far-flung children & grandchildren, local activities, and interest groups, ...  I just limit visits and stop scrolling when it gets murky.  And I never answer those silly lists, open attachments or watch videos.  And I do not use FB Messenger.

My Darling Bride had a short-lived account back in the late '00s.  After few days she learned things about her nephews and nieces (then in their late teens or early twenties) that she REALLY didn't want to know.  I'll check publicly available pages for restaurant specials, etc, but we haven't been 'members' since.

If the county birding group's page was public, I wouldn't be considering it now.

Edited by Charlie Spencer

56 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

My Darling Bride had a short-lived account back in the late '00s.  After few days she learned things about her nephews and nieces (then in their late teens or early twenties) that she REALLY didn't want to know.  I'll check publicly available pages for restaurant specials, etc, but we haven't been 'members' since.

If the county birding group's page was public, I wouldn't be considering it now.

And I miss the Sunday paper...

1 hour ago, Charlie Spencer said:

After few days she learned things about her nephews and nieces (then in their late teens or early twenties) that she REALLY didn't want to know.

Yeah, I hear people all the time saying "Did you hear what so and so said?" and their all upset about what someone did or said on facebook, I just don't understand why you would want to know everything about everyone's life.

5 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Yeah, I hear people all the time saying "Did you hear what so and so said?" and their all upset about what someone did or said on facebook, I just don't understand why you would want to know everything about everyone's life.

I don't know why some people want to share everything about their lives.  It's as if people spend more time documenting what they're (supposedly) doing than they spend actually doing it.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I don't know why some people want to share everything about their lives.  It's as if people spend more time documenting what they're (supposedly) doing than they spend actually doing it.

Yeah I know, and I don't get it. I don't mind some people knowing some stuff but I'm not about to tell the whole word my entire life.

My mom just deleted her facebook account and moved to MeWe, they are not selling your info...or at lest that's what they say.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Kevin said:

Yeah I know, and I don't get it. I don't mind some people knowing some stuff but I'm not about to tell the whole word my entire life.

My mom just deleted her facebook account and moved to MeWe, they are not selling your info...or at lest that's what they say.

Both Google and Microsoft have started social network platforms in the last decade.  You may not have heard of them.  Why do you suppose that is?

And both were closed with the decade.  FB is an 400-pound gorilla.  If those companies couldn't build a competitive social platform, we're probably looking at FB for another decade or more.

9 hours ago, lonestranger said:

It's the same/only profile pic I have used since I joined in 2009 so it might be familiar to some of the members. I got tired of reloading it when the site was going through it's phase of crashes but recent talk about pfp kind of pushed me to upload it again.

I love that photo!

• Thanks 1