Whatbird Community

2 Hummingbirds

2 hours ago, Aidan B said:

1 is Rufous, 2 looks a lot like Anna's to me, You can see the pink gorget coming in, but I'm not sure how common they are were you are at, I would assume they are pretty rare. I would wait for another confirmation on that one.

Agreed. Maybe tony could confirm

Just now, floraphile said:

@Aidan B @IKLland--I just heard back from the hummingbird bander that the pink on the head is a mark they place when they band a bird. 🙄  He said that bird is probably a Black-Chinned that he banded at our neighbor's house a couple of days ago. 

Which? The second bird? Seems more like a ruby throated to me if it’s not Anna’s 

3 hours ago, Aidan B said:

1 is Rufous, 2 looks a lot like Anna's to me, You can see the pink gorget coming in, but I'm not sure how common they are were you are at, I would assume they are pretty rare. I would wait for another confirmation on that one.

#2 almost looks like a costas 

The second bird is an Archilochus hummingbird. The inner primaries are much more narrow than the outer primaries, which eliminates Calypte hummers.

As for which Archilochus hummer this is, the shape of the outer primaries and inner primaries as well as the shape of the rectrices point to Ruby-throated to me, but unless there are better pics, I'd leave it as Archilochus sp.

• Thanks 1