Whatbird Community

So I recently got a bike to go birding with but I have a bit of a problem I can only carry my camera or my bins, and I would like to carry both. I have a vest to carry my camera but I need something for my binoculars that I can reach easily.

So what is the setups you all use?

I don't bike, but I hike, so not sure if my method is applicable, but...I take both.  I put my bins on first, strapped over my dominant-hand shoulder, and then my birding camera over the front.   When I need to move the camera out of way, I do so to the opposite shoulder.   I find this method works pretty good and I have quick access to either.   I have a superzoom bridge camera (Sony RX10 iv) that I use when mobile birding, since my DSLR is too heavy for long hikes.  My bins are also pretty light--Nikon Monarch.   

Now I'm trying to figure out how to add my recording gear to the ensemble.  😄 

Edited by floraphile

I have a bike and I wear both the camera, which goes over my neck and hangs front/center, followed by the binoculars, which also go over my neck but then I put my left arm through the strap. This approach keeps them separated. The binoculars ride to the left away from the camera. The length of the strap/s can make a difference in how everything works out. I recently added a basket, which is great for water, snacks, and jacket/rain gear. I'm not sure if I can mention a brand but the basket is by Cofit--sort of a canvas and is removable. I can't say how it will hold up long-term but so far I have been pleased.

• Like 1

I usually keep my camera in a backpack as it’s bulky and sometimes bonks into my handlebars. For my binoculars I do what other people do and loop it underneath my arm, keeping it closer to my body and preventing it from swinging around so much. 

• Like 1

I've had bikes for a variety of reasons over the years, and I'm with TBN.  Mount a basket on the front.  You can use velcro straps to fasten the camera case and / or bino case securely in place.  Leave the respective cases open; once you come to a stop, you'll be able to pull out either tool.  You'll also have room for a field guide, and a soft-sided insulated lunch bag for drinks or munchies.

Depending on where I retire in a few years, I'm planning on getting a bike for birding.  I want a trike with a basket behind the rear wheels, mountain bike-style wide tires for off-road, and a flag mounted on a tall whip for visibility.  Plenty of room back there for a scope, tripod, and a small cooler.  Something similar to these:

Huffy 31-Inch Arlington Adult Tricycle

ftb_1.jpg

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 3
1 hour ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I've had bikes for a variety of reasons over the years, and I'm with TBN.  Mount a basket on the front.  You can use velcro straps to fasten the camera case and / or bino case securely in place.  Leave the respective cases open; once you come to a stop, you'll be able to pull out either tool.  You'll also have room for a field guide, and a soft-sided insulated lunch bag for drinks or munchies.

Depending on where I retire in a few years, I'm planning on getting a bike for birding.  I want a trike with a basket behind the rear wheels, mountain bike-style wide tires for off-road, and a flag mounted on a tall whip for visibility.  Plenty of room back there for a scope, tripod, and a small cooler.  Something similar to these:

Huffy 31-Inch Arlington Adult Tricycle

ftb_1.jpg

I love these.  Something else for the Wish List. 

Edited by floraphile

I don’t bird while biking, but I would ride down to a certain spot to see if the barred owls were there in the summer and I’d just put my camera in a bag that attached to the actual bike itself. It fit my nikonp600 easily so pretty sure binoculars would be no problem.

It looked something like this:

5E26415F-F9E2-4FD3-913C-CB104D5D6E75.thumb.jpeg.2408f8da1ceec668e98e55ec69cf5f88.jpeg
There’s also ones that attach the handle bars. 
I think mine was from Amazon, this ones from Walmart 

Edited by Aaron
  • Like 3

I often bird on bike, as I don’t have a car. I wear my binoculars, but keep my camera in my backpack, if I even bring it. My camera is large and it can be a hassle to carry. I’ll often just bring my binoculars, and I can get digis if I see something if note.