Whatbird Community

Please tell me I was wrong to ID this as a Bonaparte's Gull - SW MI 2-6

1 minute ago, Birding Boy said:

WHOAH. NICE BIRD. Undoubtedly BLKI! Where at? Crazy find! 

Kalamazoo River, west of Battle Creek between 20th Street and Helmer.  There is pull off, off Jackson St and you can walk a trail next to the river.  At least a snow covered trail, but you can walk it.

Just now, chipperatl said:

Kalamazoo River, west of Battle Creek between 20th Street and Helmer.  There is pull off, off Jackson St and you can walk a trail next to the river.  At least a snow covered trail, but you can walk it.

Wow, that’s quite far inland for one. Congrats! It’s a pretty long haul for me, but maybe I can snag a ride if it sticks around!

• Like 1
8 minutes ago, Birding Boy said:

Wow, that’s quite far inland for one. Congrats! It’s a pretty long haul for me, but maybe I can snag a ride if it sticks around!

42.337272, -85.229964 is where the pullout is located to walk the river trail.  It is technically Bedford Road not Helmer.  

10 minutes ago, Avery said:

Definitely report this bird! I’m relieved I’m not alone in thinking that’s what it was 😅

I reported it as a BOGU and thought "Cool a February BOGU is a first for the county".  Wasn't even thinking of this being a county first bird period!!!!  Lifer and pretty sure the rarest bird I have ever found.  I tried to post it for confirmation from the field, but couldn't remember by Whatbird password on my phone.  Wish I would have figured it out sooner so I could have got the word out.  

• Like 2
6 hours ago, Tony Leukering said:

The only really odd thing about being inland is that it's inland in FEBRUARY.

BLKI in Oct-Nov

Looks like 4th inland record for Michigan, on eBird.  The others were mid-November, late November and early Dec.  Bird was not located again today.  Lots of ice flows on the river after a deep freeze last night.