Whatbird Community

Peculiar Mixed Flock

My Pine Siskins left and I’m glad because several became sick and disappeared (I have hawks!).  Now that I have put my feeders back up, a wave of American    Goldfinches have shown up and I have noticed the strangest group of birds that are traveling together in a mixed flock.  Bluebirds, yellow rumped warbler, American Robin along with my normal mixed flockers like Titmice, Chickadees, Downy, etc.  Has anyone else ever seen so many insect eaters traveling with seed eaters? The insect eaters are going after the suet cakes.  I have never seen this before.  The goldfinches are starting to get some bright yellow feathers!  They will be brilliant in another month! 

Sounds typical of the mixed flocks in my yard in central SC.  I see these types together through most of the winter.  House finches are usually the most numerous but this week the Pine Siskins outnumber everything else combined.

• Seed eaters - chickadees, titmice, nuthatches, finches, sparrows, cardinals.
  • Insect / suet eaters traveling with them - woodpeckers, jays, bluebirds, warblers, wrens.
  • Others that arrive at the same time but may not be part of the flock - doves, mockingbirds, robins, blackbirds, thrashers, grackles.

17 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Sounds typical of the mixed flocks in my yard in central SC.  I see these types together through most of the winter.  House finches are usually the most numerous but this week the Pine Siskins outnumber everything else combined.

• Seed eaters - chickadees, titmice, nuthatches, finches, sparrows, cardinals.
  • Insect / suet eaters traveling with them - woodpeckers, jays, bluebirds, warblers, wrens.
  • Others that arrive at the same time but may not be part of the flock - doves, mockingbirds, robins, blackbirds, thrashers, grackles.

I wrongly assumed that insect eaters do not join mixed flocks with seed eaters! Now I know otherwise! The birds couldn’t care less about the diet of their fellow flockers! I had a few purple finches for a couple of months but they are gone now. The juncos are still here and won’t go back until late March/April. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, tclarkwood said:

I wrongly assumed that insect eaters do not join mixed flocks with seed eaters! Now I know otherwise! The birds couldn’t care less about the diet of their fellow flockers! I had a few purple finches for a couple of months but they are gone now. The juncos are still here and won’t go back until late March/April. 

Here's an article from Cornell about mixed flocks I enjoyed a few years ago, if anyone's interested.

https://www.google.com/search?q=allaboutbirds.org+mixed+flocks&oq=allaboutbirds.org+mixed+flocks&aqs=chrome..69i57.9830j0j7&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Edited by Charlie Spencer

6 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

Here's an article from Cornell about mixed flocks I enjoyed a few years ago, if anyone's interested.

https://www.google.com/search?q=allaboutbirds.org+mixed+flocks&oq=allaboutbirds.org+mixed+flocks&aqs=chrome..69i57.9830j0j7&sourceid=chrome-mobile&ie=UTF-8

Your link took me to Google's search page, @Charlie Spencer. Is this the link you were looking to share?

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/news/like-chasing-tornadoes-the-fun-and-challenge-of-mixed-species-flocks/

• Thanks 1

12 hours ago, lonestranger said:

Your link took me to Google's search page, @Charlie Spencer. Is this the link you were looking to share?

https://www.allaboutbirds.org/news/like-chasing-tornadoes-the-fun-and-challenge-of-mixed-species-flocks/

@lonestranger thanks!  I received a shingles vaccine this weekend and I've been loopier than usual.

Edited by Charlie Spencer