Whatbird Community

red tailed hawks

From my front porch I was taking bird pictures , by my woodstove, this cold snowy morning . As I was focusing on and framing a picture of several gold finches, BAM , birds went everywhere. Five or six came strait at me. Two hit the glass of the window I was shooting through. I jumped back and thought WOW. What is going on. Then I saw him. A red tail hawk came off the ground, just a couple of feet from my camera. I looked quickly to see if he had any luck at my bird smorgasbord. He was gone in an instant, so I couldn't tell. After that the feeders were vacant, except for a Downy Woodpecker. As he clung to a feeder in terror, he was motionless. It was about five minutes before I saw him move. It was another ten minutes before any of the birds came back to the feeding troughs. I guess the hawks have to eat also. Such is the circle of life. I have a friend that calls the red tails "killing machines". I tend to agree. I am curious If other birders have seen these predators in action, at their feeding areas.

David Anderson from Mcfarland Kansas. 2/7/2021 

SAM_1041.JPG

SAM_1030.JPG

SAM_1043.JPG

• Like 1

I have never seen a red-tail go after song birds but my red-shouldered hawks have been eating them. I have a Cooper’s come into the area occasionally and this past summer we had a broad-winged hawk raise little ones in the neighbor’s yard. They are usually not in Alabama that much. We have a ton a chipmunks too so that is the reason we have so many hawks. 

• Like 1

I’ve never seen a red-tailed hawk in a urban setting... I’ve only ever seen them in fields or soaring way up in the sky. Always amazes me that people have them patrolling their yards. 
I’ve never had a bird of prey visit my yard either to take a swipe at my feeders. Or I guess none that I’ve noticed. Seems odd as a pair of Cooper’s hawks nest about 400m away. Have about ~50 birds a day lately, but I guess most of the raptors have gone south by now. Which I don’t mind, I like my daily gang of birds!

At my cabin I’ve had the Merlin swoop in a couple of times and had a few Cooper’s hawks make an attempt at the Siskins but that’s about it. 

• Like 1

15 hours ago, Aaron said:

I’ve never seen a red-tailed hawk in a urban setting... I’ve only ever seen them in fields or soaring way up in the sky. Always amazes me that people have them patrolling their yards. 
I’ve never had a bird of prey visit my yard either to take a swipe at my feeders. Or I guess none that I’ve noticed. Seems odd as a pair of Cooper’s hawks nest about 400m away. Have about ~50 birds a day lately, but I guess most of the raptors have gone south by now. Which I don’t mind, I like my daily gang of birds!

At my cabin I’ve had the Merlin swoop in a couple of times and had a few Cooper’s hawks make an attempt at the Siskins but that’s about it. 

I've had going year-round in my back yard. starting with three and growing to seven.  In 18 years, I've seen exactly four accipters - three Coops and a Sharpie.  I didn't see any of them make kills.

• Like 2

I have Cooper's here (Sacramento) regularly, and have had a few Sharpies over the years. The Cooper's hunt here 2 or 3 times a week, and I have seen them take birds off the feeders, off the ground, and in the air. The Sharpies have taken a couple of birds, but they're not around that often. If the Cooper's are successful 1 time in 10, they're doing pretty darn good. I have had a few Red-tailed and Red-shouldered around, but they're usually circling overhead, and I've never seen them in the yard or pursuing birds.

They all have to eat too, and play an important part in the balance of Nature. 

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Aaron said:

I’ve never seen a red-tailed hawk in a urban setting..  

916068707_birds2-7-21.thumb.jpg.5a5aa2f3485f648b818989be2ccbd1c8.jpg                                   I live on the corner of my little town in the flint hills. This is a view from my front porch. There is Mill Creek about a quarter mile to the right and another smaller creek a eighth mile to the left. I see bald eagles, red tail hawks, northern harrier hawks and cooper hawks amongst others from my house. My songbirds will take cover when a predator flies over , but this was the first time I have seen one in the yard.

• Like 1