Whatbird Community

House finch with long bill

Just checking for confirmation on this bird. 

seen at the east bay in Albany California 

Despite the yellow on the face and head, it still looks like a house finch. I’ve seen this often with house finches in the west  

the most unusual feature here is the very long bill. I’ve never seen anything like this before. Any other options for this bird?

4F1ACA8B-C332-41EA-919B-76B070A6398E.jpeg

A3176C1A-B512-409E-A19E-298190A2DCDE.jpeg

12 hours ago, Melierax said:

The yellow coloration indicates it's not getting enough nutrition as well.

I don't know about the House Finches in Albany, CA, but yellow Housies are common in some areas and the color in those cases doesn't indicate a nutritional deficiency.

I had a red Housie like this at my feeders last year, although the deformity wasn't this severe.  He was shelling seeds with the rest of them, just not as quickly.

My understanding is that the yellow color is related to diet but not necessarily a deficiency. If the bird can't eat it would die quickly, before changing its color, I would think... But it does look uncomfortable, poor little guy!

Some interesting information about color variations (including yellow house finches) and bill deformity in this article. Project Feeder Watch tracks them so you might want to report this individual.