Whatbird Community

Things have changed:

Clip

I first came here I believe back in 2012 needing help to id a bird. I will post that bird below for fun. Until then I had birded completely on my own. I had never even heard of a life bird. I was quite active here after that for some time. The site crashed and many people didn't return. I started only coming around periodically. Now I will likely be here more often again. Saying all this I have noticed quite a few changes. The first is there use to be categories to get id help for wildlife other than birds like butterflies, snakes, turtles, frogs, bugs etc.  I don't see these things any more. Are they gone for good? What is up with the extreme limit on likes?

016.JPG

Edited by Clip

As you said, @Clip, things have changed. The membership has been asking @Administrator to improve the forums to what they once were ever since the site crashed but our repeated requests fall upon deaf ears. It is my opinion that Admin has dropped the ball and has no intention to pick it up again. You can still post different wildlife photos you just don't have separate forums or sub-forums to keep things organized. You'd be surprised how much falls under the umbrella of birding in the photo sharing and discussion section. People see, hear, talk and think about all kinds of things while birding, which opens the door for EVERYTHING to be posted in the Photo Sharing and Discussion forum. Like others here, I am disappointed in the new forums but try to make the best of it.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, lonestranger said:

As you said, @Clip, things have changed. The membership has been asking @Administrator to improve the forums to what they once were ever since the site crashed but our repeated requests fall upon deaf ears. It is my opinion that Admin has dropped the ball and has no intention to pick it up again. You can still post different wildlife photos you just don't have separate forums or sub-forums to keep things organized. You'd be surprised how much falls under the umbrella of birding in the photo sharing and discussion section. People see, hear, talk and think about all kinds of things while birding, which opens the door for EVERYTHING to be posted in the Photo Sharing and Discussion forum. Like others here, I am disappointed in the new forums but try to make the best of it.

I thought I recognized your name as one I remembered from back then. Are folks like psweet, Mike Mars and Liam still around? Psweet was at awesome at bugs and Mike Mars at reptiles and Liam and birds and especially domestic ducks. I lived in Colorado back then but moved to Florida a couple years ago. Their expertise came in handy.

5 hours ago, Clip said:

The first is there use to be categories to get id help for wildlife other than birds like butterflies, snakes, turtles, frogs, bugs etc. 

iNaturalist is a great place to get other wildlife identified, and psweet and other former Whatbirders are there.  Although a lot of people on iNat are not as helpful when it comes to explaining how they came to an ID.

Edited by The Bird Nuts

Hi folks,

I'm not as active as I used to be. I only get on once every few months. Like you said, the forums have greatly changed and I don't enjoy my time on here as much as I used to. Life has me busy too. I was most active here as a high-schooler and now I'm getting a master's degree! And yes, it's bird-related (spatiotemporal factors affecting occupancy and phenology of Bachman's Sparrow!). Back in those days I was an admin on the Whatbird forums, but once I started undergrad I became too busy to keep up with it and I was inactive by the time the website crash happened. After that, the website wasn't the same so I spent my time on other things.

I still enjoy helping others identify birds and other critters, especially mosquitoes. You can find me on iNaturalist at @ ospr3y and instagram @ ninja_birder. I spend my free time on there these days. Perhaps I'll become more active on here again, but it's sadly not the same forums as I loved as a teenager. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, HamRHead said:

Liam is also the eBird reviewer for my part of GA. He's definitely busy, and I'm doing my best to find something for him to review! 😉

You mean like that Pintail (you claim) you saw a few days ago, but conveniently didn't get any pictures of?  :classic_tongue:

Nice bird.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Haha 1

6 minutes ago, HamRHead said:

Any plans to head this direction? Or are you waiting for that all terrain tricycle?

I was toying with this weekend for GBBC; that's why I was looking at recent activity.  Now it looks like the weather is going to be less than pleasant.  There's a local guide buddy leading a group to Hitchcock Woods in Aiken the following weekend, and then the month-end Saluda Shoals Park walk in Columbia.  I'll get there some time this spring, but darned if I know when.  Maybe I'll check the Aiken-Augusta trips list.

The trike is going to be a retirement gift.  My parents live in a gated community where about half the homes are retirees.  I see people tooling around on golf carts, including my parents.  I can't help but wonder if Dad would still have enough muscle tone in his legs to get up if he'd used a trike the last ten years instead of that cart.  I've sworn I'll never have one of the damn things.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 1