Whatbird Community

Same mystery song as yesterday - guesses were Carolina Wren, Cardinal, Titmouse (NJ)

6:50 am. 

Carolina Chickadee is in background (better quality in my original recording).

The mystery bird in the foreground is the same one I posted yesterday.  … Any more clarity with this clip?

(Regarding the Cardinal guess, I will say that I have not seen any cardinals yet this winter. )

Thank you.

Chickadee plus what.wav

Edited by KC in NJ
  • KC in NJ changed the title to Same mystery song as yesterday - guesses were Carolina Wren, Cardinal, Titmouse (NJ)

Thanks guys. … I was just leaning that way myself, when I came to see the replies.

…Now could an individual Tit vary their song across different sessions? Or are individuals likely to remain somewhat consistent in their song?  Is this likely to be the same individual from yesterday, as distinct from the the other Tits I also hear, at nearly the same time, with a more recognizable, fast, 'peter-peter-peter?' Or could the same bird be making two distinct songs?

Edited by KC in NJ

Good question.  I don't know for sure, but I don't think a single individual would change its song that much.  I think you are hearing the same individual as the last time.  I'm not an expert, but my experience comes from years of observing our resident Black-capped Chickadees who we (well, BN#2) know by name.

Edited by The Bird Nuts