Whatbird Community

2 Hawks - Not my observations

Haha, I saw that report, but didn't look at it. That's a Red-tail. I just went in and flagged it as well.

I know the guy whose pics are in the second link, and he was with JO when he got that bird. Pus, the white UnTC, bulkyness, and supercilium look good for NOGO to me.

Edited by Avery

5 minutes ago, The Bird Nuts said:

Thanks @Avery.  Yeah, I'd hate to keep flagging that one report...

I can see the last one as a NOGO, but I just wanted to see what others think.  I've never heard of white undertail coverts being a field mark; usually they're streaked.  Is it because they contrast with the (very slightly) more tan belly?

Oop, I got turned around in my head. You're right, usually young Gos's have streaked UnTC. I think we just can't see them in these pics, which is a little odd. That white supercilium is conspicous though, and you can kinda see the buffy bar on the greater coverts in flight.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Avery said:

Oop, I got turned around in my head. You're right, usually young Gos's have streaked UnTC. I think we just can't see them in these pics, which is a little odd.

Well, JP mentioned the white undertail coverts and that's why I was confused.  I know that not all NOGOs have streaked undertail coverts, though.

• Like 1

The wing/tail ratio seems off for NOGO to me. I would expect the bird to appear longer-tailed if it were a NOGO. This photo leaves much to be desired. I would be inclined to call it a RSHA as well, but unless I had better pictures and/or could describe accurately what I saw in the field, I would likely leave it as buteo sp.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Tony Leukering said:

Juv NOGO typically have noticeably dark-streaked under-tail covs, not pure, bright white.

Yeah, I realized that when I was total king to the guy who took the picture. I do see a bunch of pic of immature NOGO with white UnTC, like adults though. 

There have been at least two other reports of NOGO at or near this location since.  One eBird report has some pretty good pictures (funny, but I drove by the guy making the report as he sat in his car on the side of the road, just at the time of his report - I didn't see any hawks there that day).  I can link his re4port if other people think it's appropriate.  That road is quite near me, and I've driven it maybe 10 times in the last few weeks.  I've spotted Red-tailed and Rough-legged Hawks, but not this bird.

• Like 1