Whatbird Community

Before and After

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 8 months later...

After recently posting this photo in the Landscapes thread, I decided to do some more editing on it. The original had annoying wires crossing through the frame that I found very distracting so I removed them before posting in the Landscapes thread. After reviewing the edited photo, I decided to also remove the distracting tree branches from the missing tree on the left side of the frame in a hope to balance out the photo. The editing was as easy as selecting the right sized Healing Brush Tool and dragging it over the unwanted areas and the software did the rest.

Original

DACF6C80-C6C0-4BD9-AE7B-E4EB929F7965_1_105_c.thumb.jpeg.fb6be266b57f293d421b46ec775c5f29.jpeg

Uploaded to Landscapes edit

DSCN1311.thumb.jpg.fd188af07e64c373c2dd3794949d676d.jpg

Final edit....I think.

DSCN1311-2.thumb.jpg.066d640a481949b0e52217c154efe176.jpg

Edited by lonestranger
Operator error
  • Like 5

1 hour ago, IKLland said:

@Aveschapines @Kevin

do you think it would be a good idea to merge this thread and the “ feedback on editing attempts “ thread?

I think there's enough of a difference between the two threads to keep them separate... if you ask me ... Oh wait, you didn't ask me :classic_laugh: ...personally I see no reason for the merger but I will yield to @Aveschapines's and @Kevin's opinion if they see reason to merge the two though. ?

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, lonestranger said:

I think there's enough of a difference between the two threads to keep them separate... if you ask me ... Oh wait, you didn't ask me :classic_laugh: ...personally I see no reason for the merger but I will yield to @Aveschapines's and @Kevin's opinion if they see reason to merge the two though. ?

I was going to ask for your opinion on the mater so.... 

• Like 3

36 minutes ago, lonestranger said:

I'm also going to go with @lonestranger's opinion here. 

• Like 2

17 hours ago, lonestranger said:

Final edit....I think.

This is why I don't go down the editing rabbit hole!  This fall I re-evaluated everything I have uploaded to eBird, cropping the full-sized images where appropriate.  I think I finally developed some sense of where the boundaries should be and what to leave out, although I have the paint.net application's selection tool lock in at one size (2000 x 1500 pixels).

Most everything else y'all do intimidates the heck out of me.  Earlier in this discussion, @Aaron posted something along the same lines.  Did you get past it? 

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 1

3 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

This is why I don't go down the editing rabbit hole!

It's a deep hole that can branch out in way too many directions to ever find your way out once you've fallen into it. Dipping your toe into the hole once in a while can make a difference though. Whether it's noise reduction or tweaking the exposure a bit, sometimes a decent photo just needs a little help to make it a slightly more decent photo. Then there are other times when a decent photo needs some work from deeper down the rabbit hole before it becomes a slightly more decent photo, that's where it's easy to get lost and find yourself in the middle of a completely different photo than the one you took. :classic_laugh:

Edited by lonestranger
Operator error
  • Like 2

Here's a prime example of going too far down that rabbit hole we call editing. Back in 2010 MJ and I were up in Algonquin Park where I set the camera up on the tripod with the timer and took a shot similar to the first photo below. I can't find the original photo quickly but the scene is pretty much the same so I am working with similar and not original photos here. The photo shows MJ and I at the shoreline of a small lake with Molly posing with us. Molly passed away in 2011 so I started going through some of her old photos to make a collage as a memorial type thing. My editing skills were in the early stages and I found myself down the rabbit hole with just a few more tweaks to get to that decent photo to be just what I wanted. One tweak lead to another and before I knew it I had ruined the original photo. The landscape, or in this case, the icescape needed a bit of healing, or so I thought. I can't remember if I tried to clone sections of ice or if I tried using the healing brush, but I definitely went way too far. As you'll notice in the second photo, the ice looks wavy in the middle right and the branches I tried trimming on the left of the image ruined the ice beside us. I still like the photo but can't help but think that if I were to try jumping down that rabbit hole just one more time, I just might be able to bring it all together and finally make a decent photo out of it. 

20419415850_6395c31504_b.jpg

20420727579_23b05bae48_b.jpg

Edited by lonestranger
Operator error
  • Haha 3

4 minutes ago, lonestranger said:

Here's a prime example of going too far down that rabbit hole we call editing. Back in 2010 MJ and I were up in Algonquin Park where I set the camera up on the tripod with the timer and took a shot similar to the first photo below. I can't find the original photo quickly but the scene is pretty much the same so I am working with similar and not original photos here. The photo shows MJ and I at the shoreline of a small lake with Molly posing with us. Molly passed away in 2011 so I started going through some of her old photos to make a collage as a memorial type thing. My editing skills were in the early stages and I found myself down the rabbit hole with just a few more tweaks to get to that decent photo to be just what I wanted. One tweak lead to another and before I knew it I had ruined the original photo. The landscape, or in this case, the icescape needed a bit of healing, or so I thought. I can't remember if I tried to clone sections of ice or if I tried using the healing brush, but I definitely went way too far. As you'll notice in the second photo, the ice looks wavy in the middle right and the branches I tried trimming on the left of the image ruined the ice beside us. I still like the photo but can't help but think that if I were to try jumping down that rabbit hole just one more time, I just might be able to bring it all together and finally make a decent photo out of it. 

20419415850_6395c31504_b.jpg

20420727579_23b05bae48_b.jpg

I don't know why but the first image is only partially loading for me. If others have the same problem, clicking through to Flickr will show the rest of the photo.

• Like 1

34 minutes ago, lonestranger said:

I don't know why but the first image is only partially loading for me. If others have the same problem, clicking through to Flickr will show the rest of the photo.

I can't tell.  The skylines are radically different between the two images, even accounting for Molly in the second one.  I'm clueless when it comes to navigating Flickr.

Edited by Charlie Spencer
  • Like 1

9 minutes ago, Charlie Spencer said:

I can't tell.  The skylines are radically different between the two images, even accounting for Molly in the second one.  I'm clueless when it comes to navigating Flickr.

Yeah, I guess the photos aren't all that similar, but it shows the difference of what the ice actually looked like, sort of. The issue with the photo loading must have been a glitch on my end as it is now loading the whole image. As for navigating Flickr, in this case it was simply a poorly worded suggestion of clicking on the image which would just take you to the photo where it's hosted on Flickr for a complete view, if the image here was comprised.  

• Like 2

8 hours ago, Charlie Spencer said:

This is why I don't go down the editing rabbit hole!  This fall I re-evaluated everything I have uploaded to eBird, cropping the full-sized images where appropriate.  I think I finally developed some sense of where the boundaries should be and what to leave out, although I have the paint.net application's selection tool lock in at one size (2000 x 1500 pixels).

Most everything else y'all do intimidates the heck out of me.  Earlier in this discussion, @Aaron posted something along the same lines.  Did you get past it? 

I’ve continued to stick with just editing them using my iPhone. Though, I am going to try some other program soon to edit all my photos from Costa Rica. It’s still crazy to me how you can just delete wires and branches! 

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, Aaron said:

It’s still crazy to me how you can just delete wires and branches! 

Photo editors have come a long way since I first started editing photos using the Healing and/or Cloning tools. The software almost always gets it right the first time when using the Healing tool, blending things together as if the removed item wasn't even there. Comes in real handy for removing an ugly piece of garbage, or branches and wires, in what would otherwise be a beautiful setting.

• Like 2