Whatbird Community

How do you get close to birds without scaring them away?

Stalking birds just doesn't work for me. If I try to be stealthy and sneak closer to a bird, they seem to sense that they're being stalked and jump into alert mode and fly off at the slightest of movement. I have better luck making my presence known in a non threatening manner and slowly work myself closer to the bird while trying to be obvious that my interest is elsewhere. I will bend over and dig in the grass/dirt for a bit and then look around nervously, while avoiding eye contact, and then move to a new patch of grass/dirt to dig in. I'm not sure if my theory stands up to scrutiny, but I think that acting like a gatherer makes me look less like a hunter and therefore less likely to spook wildlife. If I come in like a hunter, the wildlife acts accordingly and hides. 

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

On 7/13/2021 at 2:49 PM, lonestranger said:

Stalking birds just doesn't work for me. If I try to be stealthy and sneak closer to a bird, they seem to sense that they're being stalked and jump into alert mode and fly off at the slightest of movement. I have better luck making my presence known in a non threatening manner and slowly work myself closer to the bird while trying to be obvious that my interest is elsewhere. I will bend over and dig in the grass/dirt for a bit and then look around nervously, while avoiding eye contact, and then move to a new patch of grass/dirt to dig in. I'm not sure if my theory stands up to scrutiny, but I think that acting like a gatherer makes me look less like a hunter and therefore less likely to spook wildlife. If I come in like a hunter, the wildlife acts accordingly and hides. 

Excellent!

• Like 1

On 7/13/2021 at 1:49 PM, lonestranger said:

I'd like too see that! I definitely agree with your theory....

• Like 1

25 minutes ago, Kevin said:

I'd like too see that! I definitely agree with your theory....

I'm sure I look goofy being stooped over or crawling on my knees while I am grabbing a handful of dirt and inspecting it for hidden treasures. I hope that I might peak the curiosity of the nearby wildlife without going to the extent that the stoat/ermine/short-tailed weasel does when it tries to get closer to it's target. If I start rolling on the ground and start flopping around, it won't be to attract the attention of anything but the paramedics. :classic_laugh:

• Haha 5