Whatbird Community

Sometimes I just want friends to see a bird I photographed, no rules.

BigOly

@IKLland (Won't let me quote you)

I use a really low shutter speed because the 7D appears to become very grainy with a high ISO. I typically don't take it over 800 unless I'm really desperate. I try to almost always leave it at 320. The woodpecker has a 1600 ISO (which I was reluctant to do, but the lighting was really bad) To be honest, my best photos so far with that camera imo have come with ISO 320 and Shutter Speed 1/125. (I haven't upload many of my best on here or ebird yet though)  Now that of course has many drawbacks, but it seems to work. I'm still trying to experiment with higher ISOs (hence the 1600 in the woodpecker) I also don't have a good editing program so any grain in the photos I can't do anything about. If you look at the woodpecker, the back ground isn't per say, grainy, but its also not really a super smooth back ground either. Before I raise the ISO super high I'd like to know its not really going to be grainy and ruin the photos. If you have any tips I'd love them. Also you said I can go up to 1600 for the ISO and be fine. Have you used a 7D before? The answer your question it a personal preference of choosing a low shutter speed and risking the blurriness over high ISO and risking severe noise. I'm still newer to it and experimenting with different setting. Manually doing everything is new to me. With the Sony everything was automatically set and I used exposer compensation to fix anything wrong. The idea of using low shutter speeds came from looking at photos of another ebird contributor with a 7D https://media.ebird.org/catalog?mediaType=photo&searchField=user&userId=USER1140516&unconfirmed=incl&sort=rating_rank_desc (you'd have to find some of the cloudy day photos to see what I mean. Here's one https://macaulaylibrary.org/asset/519792451 The shutter speed is 1/25 with an ISO of 400. This person almost always has an ISO of 320 or 400. (on very few photos its different then these two) I hope this helps with your question (and this post isn't to long for you)

• Like 3

@Tanager 101

I haven’t used a 7d, but know a few people who have. I’d definitely be comfortable(without an editing app) going to 640-800). 

You should note that if the background is bright, the noise won’t show up as much. So when possible, in bad lighting(dark lighting), try to get a light background behind the bird. 

It’s much easier to deal with(and view the bird!) when you have a sharp, noisy photo versus a noise-free photo that isn’t sharp at all. I use adobe photoshop express for my editing, and it’s amazing for what it is. If you shoot RAW files, you’ll have to pay $40 or so a year, but if you don’t shoot RAW and only shoot JPEG files, it’s free for most things. The noise reduction isn’t the best(not as good as topaz denoise, about $100 and only works for real computers), but it’s the best one that’s not that app. Don’t overdo it though, I wouldn’t go past 50 on the noise reduction slider. If you need to go past 30, I’d sharpen the photo about 20 on that slider. 

• Like 3